eleven

"well i talked to him," i whisper to ashton. "he may have been a crying mess but it was something."

"how smooth," ashton states sarcastically. "you speak to the boy for five minutes and you bring him to tears. wow."

"mr clifford and irwin! may i ask why you're speaking during the test?" our strict teacher, mr dun asks harshly.

"sorry sir," both ashton and i apologize in unison.

he glares at us but doesn't really do much more. soon he's bending down to glance over the notes for tomorrow's lesson.

i look back down at the confusing test before me. i swear i studied the night before but all the information crammed in my brain seems to be jammed. some things make sense and i easily answer those questions, but majority of the test makes absolutely no sense.

before i know it, mr dun is asking luke --his favourite student-- to collect all the tests. luke wouldn't be struggling with this test, he's a straight a student. i watch as luke goes from table to table to gather each and every test.

i messily scribble down the last of the answers and pray that i got at least half of them right.

"that was intense," i admit to ashton.

"damn, i'm pretty sure i failed it." ashton sulks, sitting back on his seat and running his freakishly long fingers through his wavy brown hair.

"your mom's going to beat your ass," i tease.

"don't be surprised if i don't turn up at school tomorrow," ashton replies dully.

i laugh loudly. the sound of happiness dies in my throat when i look up and i see luke, gripping my test paper and staring at it.

"it's you," luke whispers.

"what?" i ask dumbly.

"i recognize your writing, you're m!" luke repeats, in a much louder voice.

i feel my heart plummet to my stomach and i feel like i might be sick.

"i-i don't know what you're saying," i lie through my clenched teeth.

"yes you do!" luke urges. "i've been re-reading your notes so many times, i've managed to memorize them word-to-word. i recognize the way you write with a slight slant and the way you do cursive t's and l's and do regular letters for everything else."

"stop," i say, grasping the strap of my school bag.

"you're my secret admirer!" luke says, his blue eyes wide and full of happiness and hope. a complete change from the usual stormy, sad eyes.

my eyes flicker from him to ashton and eventually the door. i can't handle this sudden overload of emotions so i run.

i hear luke running after me but that only encourages me to run faster. luckily the bell rings and a flood of students exit classes and they fill up the hallways. i hear luke screaming my name from somewhere in the crowd of people but i don't look back.

i keep running until i'm away from school.