Gold Palm Trees - |Chapter 6|

"Which neighborhood? Miami Gardens or Opa Locka?" I asked.

"Miami Gardens, what about you?" he replied.

"I'm from Overtown, but we moved to North Miami," I said.

We were talking about the neighborhoods of Miami that we were from.

We were still in the library, taking down notes from books and talking. We got a good amount of work done on the assignment. Which was good because I didn't want to be stuck on the second paragraph for the longest.

"Shush!" the old librarian said again.

This was the sixth time she's done it to us, but there were groups of kids talking about stupid shit. For some reason, she kept shushing us when we were talking lowly and the others were being loud as hell.

"Shut your no lips having ass up. There's others in this library that's talking way louder than us, but yet you have your eyes set on us as if we have the biggest mouths in here," I snapped at her.

She gasped and was taken back, she quietly went behind her desk and acted like she was doing something. I could tell that I embarrassed her, but I didn't care.

Anthony was struggling to hold in his laughter as he cupped his mouth and shook with chuckles.

"Damn, Khadijah. You roasted the hell out of her. I'm not going to lie, she was getting on my nerves though," he said in between laughs.

It was almost two o' clock in the afternoon. We've been in the library for two hours.

It hurts me to admit it, Anthony wasn't that bad.

Besides his slick remarks, quick comebacks, and strong mind, he was an alright person.

I guess.

Every now and then I still wanted to reach across the table and smack the shit out of him, but of course I resisted. I had no choice to because if I didn't, we definitely wouldn't have gotten anything done because we would be too busy fighting.

"I have to go to work, so can continue this tomorrow if that's cool with you?" he asked as we both stood up.

I collected my books, "Ok, same time?"

"Yeah, I wouldn't want it another other way Ms. Mecca," he smirked as he got the rest of his books.

I rolled my eyes.

We made our out of the library and the librarian made sure not to make eye contact with either of us. Her face was glued to the book she was reading, acting like she didn't see us.

We walked into the parking lot when I noticed he was still walking by me. He didn't say anything.

I saw Donovan look at us with his face buried in his phone. I guess he knew someone was watching him when he glanced up and made eye contact with me. He looked at Anthony with no expression and turned his attention back to me. I rolled my eyes and sighed once I saw he was still standing by my car, making no effort to move.

Anthony followed my gaze, "I've seen him before around here."

"Yeah."

"That's your man?" Anthony asked, turning to Donovan who was still by my car with a disgusted look on his face.

"Ex," I grumbled.

"He's the dude that was here that day when he was irritating you. I remember his face. I didn't want to ask you about him again because I knew you were going to mad."

I sighed, "I don't want to talk about him."

I wasn't going to let Anthony know the backstory of Donovan and I. It was too deep.