Chapter Eight: Blow; Relief

Esme Cullen sat on her couch waiting, which is all she could do until her children came home. Jasper had called to inform her that Edward and Thomas were fighting again. If she could calm them with Jasper and Emmett's help, if it got physical, which it never did, she most definitely would. She imagined herself, waiting for her children as she truly was, but with eyes a dark brown like coffee. In fact, at that thought, she pictured a pale blue mug of coffee between her fingers. She could feel the warmth from the mug spread through her palms, and into her dainty wrists. When she closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, she could smell the creamer mixed inside: french vanilla. She smiled to herself, opened her eyes, and sighed. That wasn't her reality. Her reality was an amazing husband who saved lives on a daily basis. She also had four wonderful men and two outstanding women whom were dubbed her children by way of the law, and in her heart. Today; however, two of those children were not acting so wonderfully.

She braced herself as two cars pulled into her driveway. One was a jeep containing Alice, Jasper, Emmett, and Rosalie. The second car, a silver Volvo, contained Thomas and Edward. Thomas left the vehicle before it had even pulled to a stop. She heard Emmett laugh as Thomas stomped his way towards the house. Esme muttered a prayer under her breath in hopes that this could be a situation Edward and Thomas could figure out themselves. Jasper had left the car before Edward had the chance to run past him. Esme heard him yell to the girls just as she heard the front door slam.

"Oh, that son of a bitch has the nerve to tell me that I'm acting ridiculous!" she heard.

The door slammed again and Rosalie's voice rang through the house, "Thomas, get back here."

Esme jogged over to Rosalie's side. She took her arm. "What's going on, all Jasper told me was that they were fighting?"

"It's all about the human girl. If they fight about anything these days it's always about her," Rosalie said, watching Thomas cross the house and make his way out into the back yard.

Alice had brushed past them, running after her angry brother. She called out to him which earned no response. Emmett wandered into the house and threw his arm around Rosalie. "I didn't hear all of it, but I don't think we should stop them."

"What do you mean you don't think we should stop them, Emmett? We have to stop them," Esme yelled.

The door opened a third time. The evidence of struggle in Jasper's voice forced the three vampires to run towards the staircase. Jasper had his arms locked around Edward's torso, that blocked him from finding Thomas, with his own body. The lean, bronze haired vampire squirmed within his brother's grip.

"Jasper, let go of me! I have to talk to him. Where did he go Esme?" Edward asked. Although he said the verb "talk" the more correct wording would have been a phrase that included having to punch Thomas, if Edward was to be so bold. Esme kept her mouth shut and advised Rosalie to do the same thing. Jasper couldn't hold him back much longer and annouced the statement for his family to hear. Emmett lept from the railing to the front door where Jasper had Edward.

"Let go, Jas, I got him," Emmett said.

He wasn't fast enough. Edward managed to zoom up the railing of the stairs and away from Emmett's outstretched arms. He caught Thomas's scent and ran out of the house to find Thomas standing in the clearing of the backyard. The whole family ran outside after the distraught vampire and his fuming lover.

"Emmett, stop them, please," Esme hissed under her breath. "I don't want them fighting."

Jasper sighed and turnt to his adopted mother. "I just might with Emmett on this one. One fight won't kill anyone. The connection's too deep for either of them to inflict life-threatening injuries."