Chapter 7//: Mixed-up feelings

[ E D I T E D ]

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 7//: Mixed-up feelings♕✿~♕✿~

It was dinner time. We were all seated at the long table in the dining hall. The chosen girls sat on the sides while the royals sat at the head of the table. I was sitting next to Rose and a girl named Kaley Welle of House Welle. The dining hall was deathly quiet as we all ate. I found myself glancing up at Ahren, whose head was down. I couldn't help but wonder what type of person Ahren was. Is he arrogant? Kind? Shy? Conceited? Rude? Before this competition, I thought I had a solid idea of who Prince Ahren would be: a selfish, arrogant young man who would be just as unfair as his father once he gets on the throne. But I was starting to have my doubts. After all, could I really judge people on T.V.? It's like how people act one way in front of their family and then act another way in front of their friends.

I shook my head, trying to get the thoughts out of my head. It was pointless to wonder who Prince Ahren really was. I needed to focus on my objective: stay in the competition for a month, get the money, and then get out of here.

Soon, we were all dismissed from the dining hall. I said my goodbyes to Rose and left for my room. I was once again met by my maids, whom I dismissed immediately. I still wasn't used to having people there to do whatever I wanted them to do. Also, I didn't really feel comfortable with the idea of having others do things for me when I could do things myself.

I was putting water into my bath when I heard a knock from my door. I turned the tap off and walked out of the bathroom to open the bedroom door. I freeze up when I realize it's him standing in front of my door. He gives me a small smile as I meet his eyes.

"Hey. I just wanted to make sure you were still alright with the pool incident?" It comes out as a question.

I cleared my throat. "Yeah. I'm fine. Thank you for checking, Your Highness," I tell him. He takes a small step towards me, while I instinctively take a step back.

"You can just call me Ahren," he says.

All I can think to say is "oh." The silence that follows is awkward at best, until Ahren breaks it.

"So. I haven't seen you before this competition. I'm guessing you're one of the Reds?" He asks me. I nod, while he smiles at my response.

"I haven't spent a lot of time with Reds. I'm glad I can now," Ahren tells me. For some reason, I feel heat creep up my neck at these words.

"Well, I haven't spent a lot of time with Silvers, and, to be honest, I was worried I would be burned on the first day," I tell him. He chuckles.

"Don't worry. I won't burn you," he tells me.

I doubt that, Prince of Fire. You're Silver and I'm a Red. We are not meant to live together in peace, I think to myself as I start to put up my mental wall again.

I stand there as silence surrounds us once more. What was he still doing here? I clear my throat, hoping he would get the message and leave but he stays put, studying me with interest. Was me being a Red that intriguing?

"If that's all..." I trail off, looking at him pointedly. Luckily, Ahren gets the hint this time. He gives me another polite smile, bowing his head slightly as a way to say goodbye.

"Have a good rest of your night, Lady..." he trails off, waiting for me to give him my name.

"Madison," I inform him, feeling a bit embarrassed that he had called me Lady. Like I was a poised, regal Silver who's been in court her whole life, when I haven't been.

He gives me one more nod before leaving my room. Hurriedly, I close the door after he steps out.

I sigh and fall onto my bed. I couldn't believe this. Just that one encounter left me feeling a bit...weird. I couldn't find any words to describe my feelings.

Groaning in frustration, I stuff my face into one of the plush pillows laid out on the extravagant bed and let out a muffled yell.

What was he doing to me?

♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~

Sorry this is a short chapter! I'll try to make the next one long :p

Glass_Sword