Chapter 1: Ruth

There was seven hours left until they would come get my brother and I. Leading us to the army camp that stood outside the large walled city. I couldn't sleep, lying in bed, the images of soldiers injuries I had seen earlier had haunted my mind. Soon I might be one of them, but for now I was still home and planned to enjoy it.

Quietly I got out of bed skillfully stepping the path of non-creaky floorboards to the kitchen. Behind the fridge was a small nook which held a small chest with treasures I had collected over the years. Taking the key off my necklace I opened it revealing the keepsakes. The one that i most cherished was a photograph of my old friend, Spencer and I. We were barely sixteen when this was taken it was the last day before she left. She use to write me lots when she first went but it faded slowly then completely in a matter of weeks. It's been almost two years since I heard from her, I doubt she is still alive. But if she is I'm going to find out what happened. I shut the chest quietly and place it in the large pocket of my robe. With a creak of a floorboard I jumped to my feet faster than a rabbit, hiding the chest behind my back. It was just my twin brother, Orsic. He stood in the twilight with a solemn look.

"Can't sleep, either?" I whispered. He nodded his head slowly.

"To the roof?" He asked cautiously.

"The Roof" I confirmed quietly. We raced out of the house into the cool night air, like children. I followed Orsic up the tall ladder that lead up to the concrete flat roof that overlooked the mundane washed out city. We sat without a word for a while just staring at what we were going to leave behind. Then I broke the silence.

"I'm scared" A small comforting smile crept upon his lips and he embraced me in a warm hug.

"You're not alone" was the last thing i heard before I fell asleep in his arms...