Chapter 2: Spencer

I walk down the dimly lit basement hallway toward the mechanic shop to fix my old pistol. The greenish tint of the hall ways sickens me. Its been almost two years since they took me to this execution place, or at least that's what I call it. In the city of Axelthorne, we learn quickly to accept what fate we have been given. It has the largest army training base in all of, what us to be, North America. Thats where I'm stationed. We train to go and fight in the war with the Arekurers. The war has gone on for 250 years and counting. It's a dark and bleak future, unless you decide to work in the city. But still you have to qualify for that job and people rarely do. I should be thankful for the position I got here fast tracked to be a Intelligence analyst. I have a eye for patterns and tactic they say or at least the tests tell me. Been training for that since they enlisted me early at age sixteen. They, for now, decided to train me for special forces, more of a supply and demand job. I turn the corridor nearing the shop. This base has resemblance to the old universities I read about in the history books. But now many of them are used as military bases. Before the war the world must have been a beautiful place filled with cities, culture, art, music, and hope. Now we're just fearful and with one fate, death. I never saw rarely saw anyone past age sixty who wasn't a officer. And most of the kids didn't have parents who lived with them or are alive. Sadly my parents died when I was young, being part of the rebels has it's dangers. So government came up with a type of foster system for all the city kids until they go off to the base. I never bothered with the system. I just lived on the street until I was thirteen and met Ruth and Orsic at school. They took me in for three years I lived contently until I went to base. Today I will face her again after two years. I miss her, but fear her. How she will react when she finds out...