chapter 3

"Right, it's time to go, come on Blue," Rowan said. "Alright, see you next hour Channing, see you after school Donna," I said. They nodded and I slid my bag over my shoulder. "When we get there, I'm immediately throwing an egg at you," Rowan smirked. "What? You're going to use your antlers as rocket launchers," I laughed. "No... good idea though." "I'll throw one at your tail if you do so." "I will castrate you if you touch my tail," he said. He's paranoid about his tail ... not only does it give him shivers, it can be used to arouse him... Mental note for when we get drunk.

Rowan and I walked into the room and put our bags on the table we were assigned to. Some of the students were already there and texting away. "So what in full, did happen after Channing brought you to the showers? He seemed more distraught than usual after he screws up," he asked as I sat on the table. I paused, "nothing. Or at least nothing of your concern." "Blue we've been best friends for several years now and you know I don't believe you when you say 'nothing of your concern'," he said crossing his arms. "Ugh, I just had a run in with Dakota," I replied as the teacher walked in. "This conversation isn't over," he said. "It is now," I retaliated as I walked around to the other side of the table.

"Right class! As you know, today we are going to be baking," he said happily. "Be happy because you're my first class to do this. Now, go and get two - eight inch pans, three eggs, your mix, a beater, flour, some water, vegetable or corn oil and a stick of butter," he said. I got the eight inch pans, beater, flour and butter while Rowan got the rest. "The instructions are on the papers in front of you, now this grade will be based on its height, how moist it is, and the decorations, good luck, ovens are already heated by the way."

"So first, ok...," I said as I grabbed a bowl. Rowan began to butter and flour the pans as I put the mix, the corn oil and the eggs in. I turned on the beater and slowly poured the water in as I began mixing it. "The pans are ready, how about the mix-" "-It's done," I said as I poured it into the pans. "Go get the icing and two knives," I said as I put some oven mittens on because I'm always scared of burning my paws. "Why two?" "You'll see, just go," I said as I slid the first pan in. Rowan shrugged and went. "Très bon Blue," Mr. Rousseau said. "Thank you," I said as I slid the second one in. Rowan returned with the two knives and icing. "Why do you have two knives?" "Because of an old trick my mother taught me," I perked. "Ah. Carry on, I expect something divine!" Rowan and I nodded and he walked away. "I have an idea," Rowan said. I looked at him curiously. "He said decorations was part of the grade, why don't we add some color dyed icing," he grinned. "What color?" "Is that even a question?" "I'll go get the blue dye," I said.

I walked to the back of the room and grabbed some blue dye and returned. He popped open one of the lids and we put some of the dye in. "Right. I shall return class, I'm gonna go get the decorating materials as I see some people moving onto that stage," Mr. Rousseau said and then left. I grabbed a wooden spoon from the kit and mixed the dye and icing as quickly as I could. Mr. Rousseau returned and I went to go get cookie racks as Rowan took the two cakes out. I slid the rack on the table and grabbed a brush, put that off to the side and put the mitts on. I flipped the pan over and let the cake fall into my paw, put that on the rack and did the same with the next cake. "Damn. You have this down to a science." "Well I love baking so," I shrugged. I took the brush and began to gently brush whatever flour was left on the outside. Rowan put the two pans and the bowl in the sink and I took a bread knife, got a paper plate and cut off half of the nose of the cake to help let the steam get out. I put the two tips on the paper plate and tasted it. "Oh. My, God. Rowan. Taste this now." "But I-" "-Try it," I said shoving some in his mouth, catching him by surprise.

"Wow that actually is good," he said and took the rest of the other tip. Though he didn't eat it, instead he walked up to Rousseau and gave it to him. I gulped as I watched him eat it and his eyes lit up with wonder and then smiled at Rowan, half way through their conversation, Rowan's tail flung up and he pranced back over happy. "What happened?" "He said it tasted amazing, almost as good as Beth's," he said. Beth was one of those girls who seemed lonely and worked alone but was super attractive and did an outstanding job on ... everything. "Well that's good to hear."

We let the cakes sit a little longer and then I took the untouched icing and iced the top of one of the cakes and then flipped the other one upside down and put that on top of the icing. I took the two knives and did a trick where you scoop up the icing, making sure there was none on the bottom, put the tip of the knife at the bottom of the cake, took the other one and used the dull side and pushed the icing off and smeared it up. I repeated it several times before handing it off to Rowan to let him do what he wanted with the blue icing. I walked up and looked at the decorating items, there was some blueberries, strawberries, frozen chocolate rings and more. I grabbed some blue berries and some chocolate rings. I walked back over to see Rowan had made several circles on the side of the cake and one on top. I put the berries between the edge and the blue circle and then put the chocolate rings in the circle. "You two look about done," Mr. Rousseau said. "That's because we are." "Ahh, third one done, may I try it, Rowan gave me a bit of it but I want to taste the finished version," he said. "Aren't you supposed to grade us first," I laughed. "Oh right, let me go grab my clipboard, be back in a moment," he said.

He returned and held his pen. "My god I feel like I'm on one of those baking war shows. Anyways, this is a French Vanilla cake with chocolate icing between the two layers and vanilla icing on the exterior with blue dyed icing on the outermost area to make it seem comforting and intriguing. The berries are to give off a cool feeling and enhance flavor a lot more than it may look and the chocolate rings are just a cute design I thought I might attempt," I said. "Ahh." With that he finished writing, put the clipboard face down on the table, took the knife, cut himself a small slice and tried it. He closed his eyes and his shoulders fell, he looked like he was masking how good it tasted. Oh the flattering. "Good job, height is just fine, a little too moist, the description was very accurate, understatement on the fruit, otherwise everything was fine. You can go, you're done with class for the day along with some of the others who've finished, but first put your cake in the fridge and wash up," he said. "Thank you Mr. Rousseau," Rowan smiled. He smiled and went off to look at other student's work. Rowan went and put the cake in the fridge and put away the left over icing and ingredients as I washed the dishes.