Chapter 2:

--Unconditionally--

Chapter 2:

"I'm not emotionally ready for school to go back into session." I complained to Harry over the phone, peeking at the time on my phone. 5 minutes until I needed to be at the bus stop.

"It won't be too bad," He answered. "At least for me, I have all the easy teachers. Well that is for Mr. O'Conner but the juniors last year said we don't have to turn in homework." 

"Oh, shut up!" I grabbed a yogurt smoothie from the fridge, swinging my backpack over my shoulder. "You don't have to rub it in my face, buddy." 

"C'mon that's my job!" He replied with, making me roll my eyes. 

"Alright, don't get too ahead of yourself there my friend. Anyway I'll have to talk to you on the bus." My eyes darted around the corner, stepping out into the street and looking for the oncoming bus. 

"Lucy?" A familiar voice asked, making me turn to face whoever was behind me. I almost frowned when I saw who it was, not wanting to deal with him.

"I don't have time for you right now," I said, acting like I became invested in my nails. "The bus will be here any minute." 

My ex, Zayn, having the nerve to talk to me after he had cheated on me last year, making me very hesitant about the idea of dating again to anyone else. "Don't be like that, Luce. You know I would never tried to hurt you." 

"Are you intentionally trying to piss me off here?" I shot back, still not making eye contact with him.

"Don't be that girl that holds a grudge forever." 

I didn't respond, stepping onto the bus, my savour, coming at just the perfect time. "Thank god." I muttered. I scanned the rows of seats to find me and Harry's usually empty seats taken. I sighed and conflicted with myself which row would be best. There was the row behind the kid that smelled dreadfully awful.. or right behind the driver: which I decided was the best option in these circumstances. The next stop I smiled with delight as Harry step on the bus, his tall figure sliding into the seat next to me.

"What happened to our spots back there?" He asked, bewildered. 

"Taken." I grumbled. 

Being Harry, and also the boy I'd been best friends with since the first grade, noticed something was wrong. "What happened?" 

"Zayn happened." I said, running my hand through my golden brown hair. 

He rubbed one finger against his bottom lip. "Zayn-the-Cheater?" I nodded, making him sigh and rub his eyes under his glasses. "What did he want?" 

"He said he didn't mean to hurt me." This actually made me giggle, I had gotten over his disloyalment a year ago, and the fact that I was complaining over him now was pathetic. "But it doesn't matter, I don't care about him anymore. What I do need to care about is the awful place people call high school." 

The yellow school bus made a slight bend around the corner, entering a large parking lot. I looked over at Harry, who was pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Ready?" 

He glanced at me and winked. "Nope."

We climbed out of the seat and walked down the steep steps outside of the bus, making me stumble. Luckily, Harry, knowing me enough in my clumsiness was able to catch me. "Time like this would be a good reason for you to get a car." He laughed, making me playfully punch him in the arm. 

"It's not my fault God made me clumsy." 

"Well it's not my fault he made me perfect." 

"You wish."