meharrjdawg

Q: Thank you for being our guest judge at Scikick. How are you today?

A: I'm fantastic. Looking forward to helping out the group. Thanks for having me.

Q: It's great to get to know you. First off, shall we talk about you and writing? When did you first start writing?

A: Well, I started at the youthful age of 32. I had always played around with silly stories and things when I was younger, but I never actually got into writing for real until I got old and bald. I think losing my hair allowed my creative mind to flow more freely. : )

Q: What are your writer's best practices – doing character profiles, maps, visualization, tai chi, anything?

A: I'm more of a fly by the pants kind of writer. I take some time in the begging to let an idea fester in my mind for a bit. I try to pinpoint the main elements beforehand in my writing journal. However, beyond that, I tend to get bogged down and overwhelmed if I worry too much about everything. I'll plan out the first chapter and get to writing, taking breaks here and there if I find myself having to address any plot concerns or make course adjustments. I'm just not the type to sit and plot everything out in the beginning.

Q: Definitely. When and in what setting do you write best?

A: I write alone. I'm a big family first kind of person, and I refuse to write when my daughter is in the other room wanting to play ninja turtles or dress up. I can't think clearly when I know there are more important things to be doing.

In regard to actual setting, I write with silence, mostly at work to keep myself awake. (I work night shift.)

Q: Is there anything in particular you find difficult to write about?

A: Romance would be something I tend to stay away from. It's not a genre I read, so I don't have a good understanding of how to do it well. I'm capable of it, of course, but it's not my strong suit.

Q: What piece of advice has been most helpful to you since you started?

A: The best advice I received was to learn from criticism. I actively search out people's opinions and thoughts, and I work hard to improve. If someone tells me I filter too much through my character, for example, I get on Google and learn what that means. I think the worst mistake a new writer can make is to ignore advice. That doesn't mean all advice is good advice, but we can sift through everything and we will progress.

Q: What do you enjoy more – writing or having written?

A: There's a certain sense of satisfaction that comes when completing something. I thoroughly enjoy the writing process, but when I finish a chapter I sit back in my chair with a grin. That's not even mentioning the overwhelming feeling of holding a hard copy of my book, LOCKED UP, in my hand. I still look at my work from time to time and wonder how I did it. I mean, I know I'm awesome and all, but I wrote a novel! That's not something that everyone can say.

Q: What genre would you write in, if it wasn't sci-fi?

A: Fantasy, for sure. I love fantasy almost as much as science fiction. My first attempt at writing was a teen fantasy. I like magic and super powers. I actually have super powers, but I don't tell everyone because I don't want to be experimented on like Wolverine. I'd love to get his claws, though.

Q: That's cool! And what about reading? What three genres do you read the most?

A: Science fiction, fantasy, and mystery. I tend to gravitate toward young adult fiction. I know the movie wasn't good, but I enjoyed the I Am Number Four series.