Chapter 4

Nora kept me preoccupied for the next several hours, first with lunch, then with hair, and makeup, and any other little detail she decided to fuss about.

It was helpful.

But at five, Nora had to leave to go to an art gallery opening with her more-off-then-on-again boyfriend Trevor. He was a painter, and she was going to see his first show. She was super excited, and I was happy for her.

But that didn't stop the somersaults that my stomach was doing.

When seven o'clock finally rolled around, I heaved a sigh of relief. There was no need to worry now. What would be, would be.

As 7:02, there was a light knock on the door, and trying not to seem too overeager I walked slowly to the door and opened it.

Brendon was leaning against the door frame, and when I opened the door, his face immediately lit into a smirk. And then, as he looked at me, really looked me up and down, I watched his breath catch in his throat.

"You look... amazing," he said breathlessly. I mean, Nora had done a wonder on my makeup, I knew that, and my hair was done in a simple side braid, but amazing wasn't exactly the adjective that I had expected.

After all, this evening was strictly between friends. I'd made that clear, right?

"Thanks," I muttered, my eyes on the floor.

"So, I don't know about you, but I'm starved," he said, trying to alleviate the tension. I chuckled and nodded.

"Me too. Let me grab my purse," I told him. I disappeared into my apartment in search of my purse, which had the unfortunate quality of getting lost fairly often. Brendon stepped into my apartment, and when I had finally found the stupid purse, I found Brendon standing in the center of my living room, staring around at everything with wide eyes.

"You like books," he surmised, "and pictures."

I shrugged. "These are only my favorite books. My spare bedroom is full of them too," I told him.

"Holy shit," he mumbled under his breath. He chose to walk over to one of my pictures hanging on the wall, and I nearly pushed him away from it.

"That," I said a bit sullenly, "Is the least important picture you could happen upon in this room."

Brendon raised his eyebrow, questioning, but when I didn't elaborate, he just shrugged. But I knew his eyesight couldn't be that bad. He could see us, curled up on the couch. He could see the kiss I was planting on her cheek. And if he was smart- and I knew he was- he could see how in love with her I was.

"Alright," Brendon said with a clap of his hands. "Let's go get that pizza."

We went down the stairs and then out to Brendon's car, which was nice, but not too nice, and we began to drive to a pizza place I had never been to, but that Brendon said was the best in town.

We pulled into the drive, and Brendon put the car in park and looked over at me.

"I can't believe you've never eaten here," he said, as if he still didn't believe me.

"Never," I said with a shrug. "But I like Italian food, so this is as good of a place as any."

We got out of the car and walked up to the front door before he responded.

"No, this is the best place," he replied, before pushing his way through the door. He held it for me and I walked inside, only to be met by the smell of garlic and cheese and pasta and bread, all mixed together into a smell so mouthwatering that my stomach growled again in anticipation.