Chapter 11

We lay in bed, my head on his bare chest, arms wrapped around me, our breathing labored. I shuddered as his hand reached up and began to play absentmindedly with my hair.

He began to hum something quietly, and I closed my eyes, listening to the soft melody. I was almost asleep when I felt him slide out from under me and get up out of the bed.

"Where are you going?" I asked him groggily. 

"I need to write," he said, his eyebrows knitted together, and I could almost see the wheels turning in his head.

I groaned and pulled the blankets tighter around me. "Go write. I know how it is."

He leaned down and kissed me softly. "I'll be back when I get this out," he whispered against my lips.

I snuggled deep into the blankets and quickly fell asleep.

***

The soft, melodic wonder that is the piano floated through the air, and I stretched, waking up. I grabbed the sheet off the bed and followed the sound into a second bedroom which had been converted into a studio. I stood in the doorway and listened as he played a few notes and muttered softly under his breath.

Love is not a choice.

I heard him mutter that over and over, looking slightly annoyed with himself. He got up and began to pace, still not even noticing that I was there. He finally glanced towards the door and nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw me there.

"Fuck, Ev, you scared the shit out of me," he said, running his fingers through his hair.

"Sorry. I just didn't want to bother you," I told him.

"No, it's fine, you just caught me off guard," he said.

"You pace," I said.

"Hm?" he asked, confused.

"When you write, you pace. I do too," I replied.

"I'm just trying to get the words of this song out," he said. "That, of course, is easier said than done."

"I know how that is," I said, taking a step inside the room. 

"Promise me you won't get mad at me for writing something about you," he said, closing the space between us.

I chuckled. "Nothing you could write about me would make me mad. Unless, perhaps, you said that I was a terrible person and that you absolutely hated me."

Bren turned around and went back to the piano, placing his hands on the keys and closing his eyes. He began to play the melody again, but this time he sang loud enough for me to hear.

And never did I think that I
Would be caught in the way you got me
Push another girl aside and just give in

Girls love girls and boys
And never did I think that I
Would be caught in the way you got me
But girls love girls and boys
And love is not a choice

He turned and looked at me expectantly. "What do you think?"

I walked over and wrapped him in a hug, the sheet wrapped around me slipping down and exposing a little too much skin, but I didn't care. 

"It's perfect," I whispered. "I can't wait to hear what it sounds like when it's finished."

I released him from the hug and he turned around on the piano bench and looked up at me. "I love you," he said quietly. 

"I love you too," I said without missing a beat.

And then he was standing in front of me, leaning down and placing a kiss on my lips.I shuddered at his touch and when I reached to pull him closer, the sheet that I had been wearing fell off for good.