Get Out of my Head: Prologue

Shadows danced in my mind. A scream wailed in the distance. Long faces and drooping eyes shrouded my line of vision. A long figure wearing a dark cloak and a mask Slowly crept towards me. I wanted to run, but my feet were stuck in place. I couldn't move. I wasn't scared, but rather, I was, curious. 

I turned over in bed and looked to the left at my nightstand. I reached over for my glasses slipped then on my face. I shifted around to get a better look at my alarm clock, which was sitting on my bookshelf next to my dresser. 2:46, it read. I groaned. Great, I thought rolling over to jump out of bed, my bare feet hitting the carpet with a soft thump. Can't I just get one night of sleep? Is that too much too ask? I sighed and padded over to my dresser to grab my hairbrush. The cold summer wind was silently blowing through the room, while my overhead fan left off a silent hum as it whirred around. I grabbed my hairbrush off the dresser and brushed it through my long, black locks. 

My dark brown eyes searched my room for nothing in particular and finally landed on my big curtained windows, in which one of the navy ones was pulled back, letting a steady stream of light through. I looked out the window to see multiple street lights illuminating the street next to my apartment. I glared at the bright light so early in the morning. One thing I missed about having a big house was the constant feeling of darkness and solitude. In an apartment building, you were always next to someone else's "house". 

It annoyed me more than it should. 

I looked around outside to see a figure crouched behind a large shrub. I shuddered, looking away from the mysterious shadow, hoping it was my imagination.

If you knew my situation you would probably think I was crazy for imagining such a crude thing. But I knew myself better. I had an imagination with a mind of my own. And sometimes, I wish it would just let me sleep in peace.