Chapter One; Oh, Brother.

Dear Diary,

I feel really stupid writing this down. But I was told by Jason and Mrs. Vaughn that it would be a good idea since writing is a way to get things out without exploding on everyone around me. So here I am writing in this little notebook.

Jason is currently driving us up to his new home. He lives in a weird little town called Mystic Falls. Since the accident, Jason has been appointed my permanent guardian until I turn eighteen. He came up to the hospital as soon as the police called him. Our stepfather was arrested and he is going to be in jail for quite a long time.

I have twenty-two stitches in my stomach. And several bruises all over my body. They don't look too bad anymore. My face is the most healed up part of my body, also covered up by a little help of makeup. The bruises are still a yellowish color, but I'm healing. It's been a week since the incident. As soon as the doctor said I was stable to be in a car for awhile, Jason packed my bags and we left.

We have currently been on the road for two days. Only stopping for sleep at a cheap hotel and bathroom/bandage changing breaks at gas stations.

Jason has managed to hit every speed bump that we come too, almost putting me in tears. I swear I am about to kill my brother.

Sincerely,
The Brother Murderer
AKA Danni

I shove my journal back into my canvas bag. Looking out the window, I see the Welcome to Virginia sign amongst some trees. "How much longer, Jay?" I ask. Watching  as some houses come into view.

"Maybe an hour or so. Mystic Falls is way smaller than back home. Trust me, you will love it, Danni." Jason touches my knee gently. He glances at me with worry in his eyes. "How are you feeling? Are you in pain? The doctor said it would be ok to take something stronger than over the counter drugs. That's why he prescribed you the painkillers."

"I'm managing, I guess." I shrug, wincing as the motion stretched my stitches. "I don't want to be drugged up."

"I will take care of you, Danni. I promise. If your in pain, then take something so I won't have to force you." Jason removes his hand off my knee and places it back on the steering wheel.

I nod. I reach down, grabbing my smaller bag with all my medicine in it. I take out one of the painkillers that the doctor gave me. I pour one pill out into my hand and pop it into my mouth. I drop the bag back down onto the floor in front of me before taking a few sips of my water to swallow the pill.

I take a few additional sips to make sure it goes down. Then I set my water bottle down into the cup holder once more. "Better now?" I look at Jason.

"A lot better now that I know you won't be in so much pain." Jason smiles weakly at me.

I roll my eyes. "Whatever allows you to sleep at night, Jay." Not even a few minutes later, I feel my eyes struggling to stay open. I suddenly feel numb from the pain. I lean my head against the cool window. Allowing myself to fall asleep.

I wake up on a bed. My suitcases are set beside the door that I am facing when I open my eyes. I glance around. My new room is twice as big as my old one. The walls were a light lavender with darker purple flowers designs lined the corners. There are two dressers, one tall dresser and one longer dresser that held a vanity mirror. Both were white like my headboard to the bed I am laying on. A flat screen tv is set on top of the taller dresser and the closet door is beside that same dresser. A purple bean bag was in the opposite corner next to a white desk with a purple office chair. Jason did well in decorating for me. He knew me so well even after 4 years of not seeing me.