After High School

Kenickie was sprawled under a car with the garage door open. His grunts and frustration could be heard down the block.

"C'mon!" he shouted as his hard work came crumbling down on top of him. Danny strutted up to the garage with a smirk across his face. The corner of his mouth raised significantly higher than the other. He watched Kenickie struggle under the car, kicking his feet and throwing his hands down.

He rolled himself out with grease smeared on his face and a look of defeat posted in his eyes. He glanced up at Danny and an audible gasp came from his mouth.

"Hey, Kenick," Danny breathed with a soft smile. Kenickie stood and took the towel from his shoulder to wipe his hands. Without a word he walked to Danny and wrapped his cleaner arm around Danny's shoulders. They stared for a small moment, then cleared their throats.

"Hey there, Zuk. How you been?" Kenickie asked staring at his black hands. Danny didn't answer, he just stared at Kenickie's hands with him. "Zuko?"

"Sorry. It's been good. It's been really good, you know. Sandy and I shacked up together, I knocked her up, so we're waiting for the baby to pop out to get married," Danny said not letting his eye contact slide.

Kenickie looked up at him, "That's cool, that's cool." He looked back down at his hands trying to get the grease out from under his nails.

"I was telling her about you," he said with a pause. "I was telling her a lot about you. Too much. She wasn't too cool with it."

Kenickie looked up at him again, this time with irritation. He started to walk back into the house, "You tell that broad that I haven't laid a nasty hand on you since high school, Danny. You tell her that for me, alright?" He threw the towel on the floor and went to the living room. Danny sighed, pushed his hands in his pockets, and followed Kenickie in.

"Kenick, she doesn't know you laid a hand in me in the first place," he said sitting down on the couch. Kenick scowled.

"You just decided to leave that part out while you were knocking her up? You forget to tell her you and I got friendly in the same drive-in you and her exchanged rings? Or how about all those nights you and I spent at that beach where you two met?" he slammed the fridge door and guzzled down a beer. Danny sat, with a blank face, hurt.

"Kenickie. I don't think-"

"No. You don't think. I don't think I want to hear what you have to say, Danny Zuko," Kenickie threw the half full can of Light at Danny. "You broke my goddamn heart when you left me for her. You know that? I had to watch you two leave in that damn car graduation day. You didn't look back, you didn't look back at me."

Danny stood with his lips parted slightly. His arms were bent as he took a step toward Kenickie who was now watering at the eyes.

"Kenick. I mean. How do you think I felt? Seeing you and Rizzo together for so long? What happened to her?"

"She knows, Zuko. Rizzo knows everything about you and me."

Danny's eyes grew to the size of Jupiter. He smacked Kenickie on the back of his head. "Are you stupid, Kenick? She's the last person you can trust with something like that."

"Relax. It's been 3 years and she hasn't said a word to anyone so far."

Danny ran his hands frantically through his jet black hair. He closed his eyes as tight as he could, and then smiled. It was a strange smile, a realization smile.

"What's so funny, tick?" Kenickie spat.

"Nothing, it's just that Rizzo was always sort of a nasty one, no? You told her about the jobs we did for each other? She probably likes the idea. Girls are into that sort of thing, I've heard about it."

Kenickie scowled, and then scoffed, and then smiled too.

"Yeah, huh? Ugh, I mean, I understand why. It's not the most unpleasant thing to watch or nothing," Kenickie bit his thumb, "I missed you, Zuk. I missed you a lot."

Danny looked at his past lover with sadness smeared across his face. He nodded almost to say he agreed.

"Just one, Zuk? Just one, and I won't ask for another one ever again, a-and I won't tell anyone, not even Riz. I swear," he begged.

Danny bit the inside of his lip, "I came to see you, so that you would never have to ask for just one more ever again."

Kenickie shrugged in question.

Danny pulled Kenickie in by the bottom of his shirt, taking it out of his pants, and kissed him. For a second Kenickie kept his eyes open, weary of the tricks Danny might try to pull, but eased into the nostalgic feeling of Danny's breath running down his chin.

"Been too long, Kenick," Danny whispered, "Been way too long."