Epilogue - Their Blindness

Epilogue

Their Blindness

The carriage stopped right in front of the tall gates that protected the beautiful gardens behind it. It was a shame that such an enchanting place had been designed to hide so much loss and misery.

She stepped out of the carriage first. She walked with her back straight, the weak sun kissing her porcelain skin, her beautiful blonde hair long and straight. She carried an air of pride in her, she looked fearless.

Next to her stood a young man, taller than her, lanky and elegant in his expensive suit. Yet, his clear blue eyes told the world that he didn’t really care much for appearances, but was smart enough to know the rest of the world did. 

While his sister was proud and strong, instilling instant respect from anyone they met, his relaxed stance and permanent smile had the opposite effect. People thought him approachable, friendly, charming and innocent. That was, until they locked eyes with him. His eyes knew everything, more than they should, and somehow, people could feel it.

None of them was particularly happy to be back at the cursed city. However, there was a slight excitement growing in them.

She walked towards the gates with him following closely, entering the cemetery with purpose. The distant sound of a bird’s song penetrated the air, the soft wind carrying with it the sweet scent of the flowers that surrounded their path.

The beauty of this place was sickening. The peace that could be felt there was a lie. The air was heavy, the atmosphere solemn and grave. It was a place for prayer and memory, but also a place filled with anguish and grief and questions that no one could really answer.

“Alice, over here,” he called, in a calm, yet heavy voice.

She nodded and followed. He had seen the tomb that had started it all, the one with the name of the parents.

Next to it, they finally saw the ones they were looking for.

Here lies Ethel Marie von Mallesch

Here lies Victor Gabriel von Mallesch

They felt shivers run through their spines. It had been ten years, yet it still felt like just yesterday they had been ripped away from the family they wanted, from the people they had chosen. It felt odd and out of place, to imagine Victor and Ethel, the strongest people in the world, resting just beneath them, fragile and defeated.

Joshua kneeled and gently caressed the cold stone.

“Don’t worry. Soon, you will be at peace,” Alice told them, anger showing in her eyes, though her voice betrayed no emotion. “Your mission will be finished.”

“Preshea will hate us for it,” Joshua said, getting up from his crouched position.

“She wants this just as much as we do. She’s just too good a person to admit it to herself. After all, she loved them, too. Where there is love, there is loss. Where there is loss, there is pain. Pain is the mother of hate.”

Alice took a small piece of paper from one of her coat’s pockets. It was the page of a newspaper, one where it was written all the details of the homage and celebration the city of St. Agnes was about to throw in the honor of its most dear and dedicated citizen – Jonathan Hazenberg, the Head of the Guard.

Her hands closed around the page, shredding it with deep anger that could only be visible in her through such small gestures.

At least for now.

“He will pay. He will die.”

“We still have to find out who else was behind it all, though. The true leader, the real puppet master.”

“Don’t worry, little brother, we will find them. And show them what it really means to kill a von Mallesch.”

Joshua smiled, looking at his sister with deep admiration. Alice grinned, devilishly, her eyes never leaving the tombs and the names in front of her.

“Let the hunting begin.”

Author's Notes - I can't believe this story is over. After so long, it will be weird to not think about these characters and their fates and motivations again. I will miss it. 

I had the greatest time writing this. I can't wait to have enough time to edit the hell out of it, though ;) It doesn't deserve the flaws it has, in my view. I can only hope the readers had as much fun as I did.

I want to thank each and every one of you who read this. I am eternally grateful to those who voted and commented :) Your support kept me going. This was not an easy story to write, without someone to read it, I don't think I could've done it. Thank you all so, so much <3