New Life

During this time, I came upon a house. My eyes widened at the massive estate in front of me. Quickly, I ran to the door, knocking lightly. No one answered.

"Hello? My name is Kateri! My mother's name is Catherine. I was out to find guidance. I was told you knew my mother!" I yelled.

Just then, a man opened the door. He was an old, dark skinned man. He had a walking stick in one hand and a knife in the other. I backed away from the knife, a small sheepish smile on my face.

"Who did you say you were again?" The man asked.

"M-my name is Kateri, sir." I tried to keep my voice from shaking, but it didn't work.

"Catherine is your mother?" He asked another question.

I nodded, straightening my posture. The man backed up and held open the door for me as an acceptance inside. Smiling, I walked in, looking at my surroundings. During my time at the estate, I learned that the man's name was Achilles. He used to be an Assassin, like my mother.

"Achilles, sir, I wish to thank you for your kindness. You have been nothing but a wonderful host, but I don't believe I can stay the night." I tried to sound mature and proper.

"Child, what is one more in this house? It beats being lonely for the rest of my life." Achilles smiled.

"Are you sure? Thank you, sir. Bless your kind heart." I returned the smile.

As I got up from my spot on a small chair, there was a knock at the door. Achilles held up his hand and walked toward the door. I peeked behind the corner, listening to the conversation.

"What?" Achilles answered in a crabby tone.

"I was told you can train me." A familiar voice said.

I knew that voice anywhere. That was the voice that belonged to a boy who hated me. Ratonhnhake:ton.

"No." Achilles closed the door on Ratonhnhake:ton and turned toward me.

I chuckled lightly, keeping my hand over my mouth. As Achilles took a step, Ratonhnhake:ton knocked again.

"Go away!" Achilles growled. He was clearly annoyed by the boy.

"I'm not leaving!" Ratonhnhake:ton's voice was muffled by the door.

The handle shook, Ratonhnhake:ton yelling something else. It was only a few minutes before another door handle was shaken. It wasn't the front door this time, but a door upstairs. Achilles walked upstairs with me following behind.

"Just hear me out! What are you so afraid of?!"

Achilles glared at the door to what looked like the porch and quickened his pace over to it. Oh, he was angry now. He grabbed the handle tightly and swung the door open. I raced around the corner to get a better look at Ratonhnhake:ton. His face was priceless.

"Afraid?" Achilles questioned. "You think I'm afraid of anything, least of all a self-important little scab like you?" Achilles held his cane in two hands and swept it under Ratonhnhake:ton's feet, making him fall to the floor.

I kept my hand over my mouth to stop from laughing. This was a good show.

"Oh you might dream of being a hero, of riding to rescues and saving the world. But, stay this course and the only thing you're gonna be is dead!" Achilles growled at Ratonhnhake:ton, cane to his throat.

The native held his hands up in defense, the look of fright on his face. Achilles went back to walking inside, leaning on his cane once again.

"The world's moved on boy... Best you do too." He finished, leaving Ratonhnhake:ton outside on the floor. He then slammed the door, turning back to me.