Level Nine - The Consequences

"QBert!"

A teenager with bright yellow hair and yellow running shoes ran up, and landed on his knees behind QBert. He grabbed QBert's shoulders. There was a static shock when he did, but he ignored it and shook him anyway. "QBert!"

QBert groaned from the ground. He lay curled up into a ball. He didn't respond otherwise.

Another teenager, sporting a red cap and a red denim jacket turned, and spotted them. "You found him?" He started running to them.

"QBert! Come on, say something," Pacman said urgently.

"Is he okay?" Jumpman asked as he ran up beside Pacman.

"He's not responding."

Jumpman leaned forward and examined QBert. "This doesn't look good."

Pacman's eyes widened. "What is that supposed to mean? You've been with him more than I have—has this happened before?"

"No," Jumpman answered, and he went on his knees, facing QBert. He lightly touched QBert's arm. There was a static pop. It wasn't as big as when Pacman had touched him, but he jerked back and rubbed his fingers. "QBert?"

No reply.

Jumpman's face creased in concern. "He's awfully pale."

Pacman shook QBert's shoulders again. "QBert! Come on, talk to us!"

"Take it easy." Jumpman dipped his head to look at QBert's face. QBert was holding his head, and so his elbows partly covered his head from view. His face was twisted into a grimace, and his brow was shiny with sweat. "I don't think he can hear us," Jumpman said.

"Do you think this could be Coily?"

Jumpman looked back and forth from friend to friend, eyes wide. "How?"

"I don't know, but his last episode had something to do with him."

QBert curled further into a ball, panting. He muttered something that Jumpman couldn't hear.

Pacman heard him though. He frowned. "Please? Please what?" Pacman asked, leaning forward.

"Coily stop..." QBert winced, and his breathing quickened. "Make it stop....."

Their eyes widened and they exchanged a worried glance. The same uncertain question was asked in both of their minds: What were they to do?

****

"Moe?" Andrew quickly snapped his laptop shut, and leaned forward in his chair. He reached for Moe's shoulder. "Moe?"

"Coily.... stop..." Moe repeated with a groan.

"Moe..." Andrew grabbed his best friend's shoulder, and gently shook it. He opened his mouth, but suddenly realized that he didn't know what to say.

'Wake up?', 'Snap out of it?', or 'What is Coily doing?'

"Coily please." Sweat ran down Moe's pale face. "Make it stop," he begged.

Andrew opened his mouth, 'What is Coily doing?' on the tip of his tongue.

"The numbers.... Make them—" He suddenly stopped short.

"Moe?"

Moe's breath caught in his chest, and then he started gasping for air.

Andrew stood straight up from his seat. "Moe!"

His breaths were drawing shorter and shorter. His back arched as he struggled to breath.