Departure

Tonight was the night. The night I'd leave everything behind.

I stood in my room, taking in the image of it being lit by just the moonlight one last time. It was spotless; drawers organized, desk cleared, and my bed made with the notice of my departure. Just imagining my parents reaction to the note of me leaving gave me a headache. They wouldn't understand...

I was unhappy. It wasn't something that they didn't notice. My parents were loving people who did their best to give me everything I wanted. When they had caught wind of my change in demeanor, they did everything in their power to try fixing it.

They weren't the only ones who had noticed. My friends saw it too. For a while there wasn't a day where l didn't hear the question of 'Are you okay?'. Eventually they gave up, seeing as I was physically fine and would always reassure them without a fake smile. They just took it as my set personality; calm, quiet, and uninterested.

Depressed is the word they'd use to describe me. It was false. I felt empty which led to my unhappiness. All the long talks, counseling, and even medication couldn't fix this. I needed to leave to find something to live for. Even though my senior year was coming to a close, I wasn't about to live another day empty.

I opened my bedroom door, turning my head to take one last look at my room. They'd at least be happy that it was clean for once. Gently shutting the door, I ran down the steps with my duffle bag full of clothes, cash, and whatever else I think I'd need in hand.

The house was filled with the sound of the door creaking open as the cool, night air filled the house. I glanced at the living room clock that read 4:17 before stepping out onto the porch and silently closing the door.

The quiet, suburban street was lit by the full moon and surrounding streetlights. I stepped out onto the pathway, briskly walking to the sidewalk.

No one knew I was leaving, I knew they'd try to stop me without even understanding how I felt. It wasn't their fault. The emptiness I was feeling wasn't normal and it was only something I could fix.

A gust of cool wind blew my dark brown hair back and sent a chill up my body. The silence was beginning to get to me along with the usual feeling of being watched. I slipped on my headphones and put my music on low. The low, somber notes from Nirvana filled my head, soothing me as I made my way down the empty street.

***

By the time I was downtown, the sound of birds chirping could be heard and the sky was tinted with a faint, deep blue. I stood at the bus stop, waiting for the first bus to come take me away.

Letting out a large yawn, I began to regret my decision to ignore my body's need for sleep. Could use a cup of coffee right about now.

Time continued to pass, all that could be heard was the low rumble of motors passing by. More people began to gather at the bus stop, most of them tired looking zombies on their way to their mundane jobs.

My phone suddenly began to ring, earning me several stares from the other people waiting for the bus. The number that showed had an area code that I had never seen before. It was probably him...

"Ayyeee Matty! What's goin' on?"

Yup, and he was drunk. Again. Other people could be heard over the phone, along with some Sublime blasting in the background. I knew this conversation would give me a headache.

I sighed. "Hey David. Just waiting for the bus."

"You're not on the plane yet?!" he practically yelled into the phone. "What the hell? You said you'd be on your flight at about eight!"

"David. It's 5:15 in the morning right now. I live on the other side of the country." I could hear whoever David borrowed the phone from demanding it back, she sounded shit faced

"Ohh yeah...hold on Matt."

The girl's voice began to fade along with the music on the other line, followed by the opening and slamming of a door.

"Sorry 'bout that. I decided to throw a little party last night, but no one wanted to leave. One the fuckers took my phone while I was passed out."

"Dumbass," I mumbled, smirking a bit at his out of character stupidity.

David wasn't an idiot. In fact, he's practically a genius. He was always known as the small, scrawny nerd of the class and my best friend since grade school. Sort of like the brother I've never had, we were never apart.

He chuckled in response to my little comment, but soon groaned at the sound in the bus pulling up on my end. A headache inducing sound from the brakes ringing in my ears.

"Ugh Matt, the fuck was that?"

"The bus. I'll call you back when I land," I deadpanned, hanging up before he could say anymore.