4.

Darkness covered Gray's eyes as he opened them for the first time after the surgery.

He was confused. The darkness was still there, it didn't go away but then slowly, when he came into conscious, he realized something was covering him up from seeing.

The doctor gingerly, but proudly began taking off the bandage around his eyes.

He was edgy, fevered but at the same time eager and excited.

At long last he could see the world he had always heard of, he could see people smashing cigars under their feet and he could see cats sleeping on the trash cans and he could see Erza.

"Alright, now slowly...open your eyes."

With each heavy breath, he commanded his eyes to move. Stuck eyelids, unstuck. Wet lashes, dried.

In front of him was a blurred lone, thin figure in a blue hospital gown.

Bony hands and legs, average in height but and with big eyes.

"Now blink a few times."

He blinked.

Blink.

Blink.

The figure got clearer. Wide set of round eyes, reddish cheeks, and thin lips were Gray's features.

He looked down at himself, body too weak and fragile.

He looked up at the doctor and the nurses.

He looked around him.

This feeling, this strange feeling Gray was feeling, he couldn't express it but could only sense it.

And then there came this sudden urge of seeing Erza.

The faceless friend he was so close with.

He looked around, searching for an exceptional smile which he imagined.

"My boss needs my help in something so, I will be back before you can open your eyes alright?"

He sighed.

Maybe that's why no smiles matched the one around him.

But he had already opened his eyes, and Erza wasn't there.