𝖔𝖓𝖊 ⇁ secret.

❝maya, we are different

maya, we are different. i am just trying to spare us the drama. it's kind of like a forbidden romance—except we're actually friends. ???

私たちは始めましょう

MAYA PARKED a few blocks away from her best friend's house. She walked the rest to her house. She was sure it was worth it. She just wanted to see her best friend despite everything. It was just hard having to do this. She wanted it to be normal.

Maya tried to hide her face ⎯ just in case ⎯ as she rung the doorbell several times. After a minute or so, the door immediately opened and a long arm dragged Maya in. "Woah!" Maya exclaimed.

"Maya!" A bright voice shouted laced with pure happiness. Maya smiled at the brunette.

"Riley Matthews." Maya said back, pulling her into a tight hug. They let go soon. "Wow, it's pretty dim in here." Maya observed looking around before plopping herself on the messy couch. "Wow, had any visitors before me?" Maya joked.

Riley's face burned up. "You did." Maya smirked. Riley looked away from Maya. "You did!" Maya declared, pointing at her.

"Okay, what if I did?" Riley shrugged and collapsed next to Maya. "It didn't mean anything though."

"You mean like our friendship..." Maya uttered, but Riley heard her clearly. Riley sighed, holding Maya. Maya turned her head away, but Riley had enough of turning heads. She did the same thing she did to her earlier guest; grabbed her chin.

"Maya, we are different. I am just trying to spare the drama. It's kind of like a forbidden romance," Riley tried to cheer up the now crying Maya, "—except we're actually friends." Riley laughed awkwardly. "But you know the press will come after us. And the rich and the poor can't⎯

"Can't be seen together. I know." Maya said through sniffles. She wiped her tears with her hand. "Anyways, who's this mystery guy?" Maya asked trying to be happy for Riley.

"Some rich guy who's not looking for a relationship." Riley sighed right after swallowing the huge gap in he throat. "Can you guess?"

A wrinkle appeared between Maya's eyebrows. She was totally blanking. "Was that supposed to be a hint?"

Riley stared at her, making a 'really?' face. "His family is rich, he sleeps around with girls without any feelings for them, and he's a dreamboat." Riley explained him quickly.

Maya shrugged. "Still don't know." Riley rolled her eyes at clueless Maya. "Riles, I'm considered 'poor' in this society. I only know all about the poor gossip and sometimes about the rich if we get lucky."

Riley nodded, understanding her situation. "Farkle Minkus." She blurted out his name.

The name meant nothing to Maya, yet she realized who she was talking about. There's plenty of rich players here, but this one was special. She never seen him in person and knows nothing about him. She just sees him in magazines.