t w o

astrid's

"i can't fúcking believe that we have another one of those! and it's fücking two weeks from now. holy shít. someone pinch me." i rolled my eyes at zaye's statement.

yesterday, the principal told us that we were having another one of those events that lasted for one week. it was a lot of fun, actually. zaye was ecstatic about it since it only occurred every two years.

the event was called pistaym and i know, what a weird name for an event. the old principal of our school was filipino so he named it that way; peace time. it was not by batch were your teammates are only your fellow grade nine or ten but instead your teammates are everyone. a freshman, a sophomore, a junior or even a senior; they're your teammates and that was why it was really enjoyable.

i'm quite surprised that the new principal didn't change the details of pistaym, also glad that it still exists.

because mr. baynard (our new principal) changed the name of our weekdays in school. last year, it was called day one as monday, day two for tuesday and so on and so forth but now it's just plain old monday as monday which sucked because now we don't have any excuse whenever we forgot to bring our books.

back to zaye, she was still squealing about who she's going to dance with on the last day and what she's going to wear. she was still screaming about being pinched so i did. i pinched her and she winced in pain.

"what the fück, astrid! jesus christ. i was in my emo world and that was rude." she hissed, rubbing her arm which was where i pinched her.

i shook my head and took a sip from my bottle. we were in the cafeteria, there were only a few students here which was weird since normally, the clique and other bïtches were out here, laughing and laughing. not even bothering to put out there gòddamn books and study.

"what's with you and luke, anyway?" she raised her eyebrow at me.

"not you too, zaye." i sighed and propped my elbow on the table.

a lot of people were asking about luke and astrid and how they were so cute i could die. it was excruciating because i wasn't even famous - i wasn't a nobody at this school but i'm close to being one. maybe because i was affiliated with luke hemmings so they talked to me more and acknowledged my existence when back then they didn't even really know my name.

"i know you guys had a thing back then, don't even deny it." zaye whispered, cocking her head to the left and right to see if people were close to us.

luke and i? oh man.

"can we talk about other things, zaye? like, you know, about exams coming up?" i suggested because she knew dàmn well that i didn't want to talk about it.

of course before a glorious event comes the excruciating exams. fortunately, i already studied for the upcoming subjects so i wasn't going to cry and fail at my exams. it was obvious since i had baggy eyes yesterday.

she shrugged and looked at her fingernails that were repainted a few days ago. she was so worried that it might get chipped and all but i couldn't relate since i didn't really want my nails to be covered in color.

silence. it was silent for a few minutes. not until zaye's eyes widened and her eyes were not on her nails but something -- someone behind me.

oh my fücking god. i swear, if that is who i think it is, i will -

"maxine," kill me. just kill me.

zaye tried to keep herself from screaming from the sight of luke and astrid then and there at her seat but she knew that she was going to fail so she hurriedly stood up and grabbed her bag, spitting out a quick "bye" before storming out of the cafeteria.

and left me with luke aka the bàstard to rot here.

he took the seat next to me instead of sitting across from me. and if i hear those fücking people making hearts with their hands, i'm gonna lose my shit here.

"what do you want?" i asked him, taking a bite of my smores that i managed to pack this morning because i was too lazy to buy shïtty food from the cafeteria here.

he propped his elbow on the table and rested his hand on his cheek, looking at me and not even speaking.

what a meaningful conversation.

his eyes piercing through every fibre of my body and i suddenly felt anxious because what if i had something on my face and he'll mock me for it? wait, since when did i care about luke about mocking and making fun of me?

in the middle of my thoughts, he absentmindedly took a strand of my hair and toyed with it. my hair wasn't blonde like his - it was just black since both of my parents have black hair. i wanted to dye it; the tips of my hair, i mean. because that'd be really cool. although, i haven't decided what color it will be.

nonetheless, he still played with my hair and i like it.

"can i go to your house later?" he asked while he was still observing and twirling my hair with his fingers.

"oh, shut up, luke. mum doesn't want you to come over." i set the half-eaten and delicious smores down to the plate. i put my hand together, rubbing them together to get rid of any lingering crumbs on my hand.

"come on, max. it's been, like, months." he let go of the strand of my hair and i was slightly disappointed because it actually felt nice.

"i bet your mum wants to see me again." i rolled my eyes at his statement and wrapped the smores and reminded myself to eat it later during classes.

"come on, babygirl." gòddamn, here we go again with that fücking pet name.

"okay, shït, fine!" i said, finally approving him to come over to my house.

he grinned and then sat up straight, his tongue running over his black hoop on his lips. his hair was messy but dàmn everything about him just screamed perfection.

he was wearing a plain band shirt and black skinny jeans. i could already tell that he was too lazy to dress for school.

"cool. let's go, babe." he glanced at his wristwatch and tapped his foot rhythmically. i nodded and he stood up, grabbing my bag from the strap and offered his hand for me.

i'm shook.

i wanted to take his hand and intertwine our hands but i didn't. and i should have.

because he tried to keep his face from falling down, his eyes from breaking like an expensive glass suddenly fell to the floor.

"so, what's your last subject, babe?" he asked, gripping the strap of his bag. he cleared his throat while he gave me my bag. fück, i feel guilty.

"chemistry." i answered, running a hand through my hair but it was still messed up.

"okay, i'll wait for you in the lab later." he stopped on his tracks and smiled at me. he pinched the bridge of my nose, his teeth showing and he looked happy.

"okay." i muttered and pecked him on his jaw quickly - i was aiming for his cheek but, you know, he's tall and shït - before leaving the hallway and heading to the room.

*

its been 84 years im sorry

fok ye b hows it going

luke and astrid mhmmmm

im so single it hurts (-: