The First Morning

A/N: Comment & Vote

Light fell across my face.

I groaned pulling the blanket over my face. "Bailey."

I bolted up as the unfamiliar voice registered in my mind. I blinked at him and then looked for my phone to check the time.

My dad didn't give it back.

I looked around for a clock and my eyes landed on his face. He pulled his shirt on and looked meaningfully at me. "'Morning?"

I shook my head. "What time is it?"

"Mm quarter to 6. We had a late night so we slept in a bit. I still have to make it to work before it 8 and its upstate. Get up--I'll show you what to do while I'm gone. Firstly you should be up before me, brewing a pot of coffee and getting breakfast ready. My work day begins at 6 most mornings but sometimes I'll be asked to come in from 4:30 to 5. I'll let you know when I'm going in--it's up to you to know when to get up and when to get me up."

"So I have to get up before you?"

"Without waking me up until you need to, yes."

"Why can't you get yourself up?"

"Because you're my sub and I'm asking you to do it. Follow me downstairs."

He maneuvered out of the room while I sat in the bed wondering what in the hell just happened. Despite how uncomfortable I was with the situation I had slept without interruption. I didn't feel as rested as normal but that was probably because of how early it was. Kyle looked back and me a sighed in defeat, heaving myself out of the bed.

I followed back down the stairs and he led me to the kitchen. It was cramped, a few dishes in the sink. He pointed to a small coffee pot. It was one I'd never seen before! "How does it work?" I asked.

"You grind the beans in here," he gestured to a small machine beside it. "Then you take a filter," he pulled out a little thin paper cup and lifted the top of the machine. He placed it inside and turned back to the grinder. He poured in the coffee and as he cranked it a harsh noise filled the kitchen. He poured the grounds into the filter and shut it. "You make sure there's water," he pointed to a little level. "And then press brew."

The machine began to hum. "That seems...excessive. Why don't you get a single serve machine?"

"Cos they cost a hundred bucks I don't have."

I crossed my arms. "Questions?"

I shook my head. "It takes about ten to fifteen minutes to brew a pot. I take my coffee black. You'll bring me a cup when you get me up, and have a cup with my breakfast when I come down as well as preparing a thermos to send with me. During the summer you'll freeze a thermos with water as well. You should be making my lunch while I eat my breakfast."

"When do I eat breakfast then?"

"After I leave. You'll also begin cleaning the house."

"When do I go places?"

Kyle shrugged and pointed to the stove. "Whenever I'm free and want to take you places I suppose. I've only got my truck and there ain't anything close enough to walk to. But you'll be real busy here. There's yard work too but for the first few weeks I'll need you to get all caught up in here. Why don't you make eggs for breakfast?"

He moved from one shocking statement to the next. I managed to catch up. "I don't cook."

He stared at me as if I'd spoken in tongues. "I'm sorry?"

"I don't cook," I repeated somewhat hesitantly. "I was real lousy at it during my classes. My dad never wanted to cook at home either."

"No wonder you were so cheap," he muttered. "It's fine. Practice makes perfect and you'll be practicing a lot. Go out and get some eggs."

I stared at him. "I'm not even dressed yet!" I said gesturing to the sweatpants and tee-shirt.

"There's no one within a ten mile radius Bailey. You're fine. I do expect you to be presentable when you wake me up and when I come home."

Oh would you now?

"Helena and Franny may be a bit protective of the hen house. Just show 'em who's boss."

"Wait what?"

"Go on. I haven't got all day."

QOTC: Are Kyle's requests unreasonable?