Chapter 4

Juliet couldn't believe that only a week had passed since her arrival in Baiardo. She'd settled into a routine of a few hours’ work in the morning followed by lunch with the rest of 'Team Centro', as they liked to call themselves. Three days ago she'd met her co-volunteers, Nick and Teddy, two young New Zealand backpackers who were prepared to turn their hands to anything. Built like rugby players, good natured and easy-going, they'd been at the Centro for a month and had just returned from a few days’ sightseeing.

In the afternoons, if Carrie didn't need her, Juliet would go walking with Nick and Teddy on the tracks around the village. Before cars had become commonplace, these tracks were major thoroughfares connecting neighbouring villages. Juliet couldn't help thinking that, with a bit of maintenance and well-designed interpretive signage, some of the tracks could become good day walks.

At dusk swallows flew over the rustica's terrace and staff and volunteers made their way to the piazza to take up their seats in the bar. After a drink or two and a catch-up on the village gossip, it was back up the hill for the evening meal. The art school had no television or internet, and mobile phone coverage was patchy, but they managed to entertain themselves with great conversation until late into the night.

Juliet was beginning to feel as if she'd come alive again. She was sleeping deeply; hours in the warm, clean air had changed her pale, sallow complexion into a healthy glow and her green eyes were bright. Her thick chestnut bob was gleaming, although it seemed to have had a growth spurt so she would need to find a good hairdresser before it became unruly.

There was one little thing that nagged at her though: on her first day, Max had said something to her about being 'a special case'. Zellie had told her that the school was desperate for help and Carrie had mentioned that Justin wanted an extra pair of hands. But there wasn't that much to do, 'Perhaps it gets busy when the students arrive,' she told herself and tried to shrug off the feeling.

It was more interesting to watch the tantalising little intrigues that were being played out. Firstly there was definitely something going on between Carrie and the man who’d exchanged looks with her in the bar. She wanted to ask but decided to wait until Carrie said something. Secondly, Carrie and Justin seemed to have a difficult relationship: they didn't always agree on the jobs allocated to the three volunteers. Strictly speaking, this was Carrie's area, but Justin had a lot to say and Max usually agreed with him. Thirdly, Justin also had a lot to say on the subject of Luca, none of it flattering; he often made special mention of the 'married lover in Genova' when Carrie was around, as if he was trying to get a reaction. This brought a pained expression to Max’s face and made Carrie go silent. Nick and Teddy didn't seem to notice so there was no point in asking them about it. And discussing such things with Antoinette might seem disloyal to the Centro, so she had decided she’d just keep her eyes and ears open.

Luca hadn't returned since their ‘formal’ introduction in the bar. Juliet wasn’t sure whether that was a good thing or a bad thing, but she did find herself looking out for him.

***

Later that evening, while sipping their pre-dinner proseccos, Juliet told Antoinette and Carrie that, although she'd only been in Baiardo a week, she felt very much at home.

'You've worked hard enough, you deserve a day off,' said Carrie. 'Let's take a trip to the coast tomorrow, and I'll show you the sights of San Remo. Antoinette, why don't you join us for a girls' day out?'

'What a charming idea! I have a hair appointment at ten so let's meet here at 9.15; we'll drive down together.'

'I could do with a haircut; any chance at your salon?' Juliet asked.

'Ma cherie, it's Saturday, the busiest day. No, but we can make an appointment for you for some time next week if you like. And while I'm being made young and beautiful, you two can see the sights, then we'll meet up somewhere very chi-chi for lunch.’