Prologue

"Mother, this is so unfair! We're perfectly fine in England. I was born here, you were raised here. You met dad here. You started a life here."

"Yes, that all happened in England, Indira, but we're moving. Whether you like it or not."

"Mum, nothing is in Spoons-"

"Forks, it's called Forks, Washington. And it may be a small town but there are loads to do there. Besides, you can always travel to Seattle."

"But.. the Yanks!"

"Indira! All Americans are not the same. We are moving to Forks. Finish packing." My mother, Marsha, walks away down the stairs of our nearly empty house.

I sigh and stalk to my room.

Most of my things are already shipped to America, but I still have a couple of suitcases with me. I pick up a flannel button down to pair with light blue jeans and regular sneaks. I remember to put on my Union bracelet and leave my hair in its regular curly state.

I sigh and sit in the middle of my empty bedroom floor, besides my bags and a pillow (with my sleeping bag.)

A few tears run down my face as I think of all the memories of this bedroom, of this house that I grew up in.

"Indira!" Mum's voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"Coming Mum..." I begin to drag my things and set them at the bottom of the stairs.

"Hurry and eat before we go." Mum pushes a plate of leftover bangers and mash, the only food we have left here.

---

I barely finished anything at all before Mother told me it was time to go. I look around the empty house one last time before sitting in the car on our way towards the airport.

---

"Our flight stops in New York and Seattle?" I ask my mother while we're on the flight. She nods her head and continues to read whatever romance novel she's reading now.

I sigh as I realise she isn't going to pay much attention to me. I close my eyes and drift into a restless sleep.

---

It's a brown house, a little smaller than the one at home, and it sits in front of a forest. That's all I can see from inside of the rental car Mum's renting before hers gets shipped here.

We were in New York for about an hour and after we landed in Seattle, Mum rented a car and drove for what seemed like forever before we landed in Forks, Washington

She lied.

There's nothing here, except a high school and a diner.

"Indira, I think we'll like it here."