1 Year Ago

The building shakes as the ground crumbles. They are landing on our land. In our kingdom.

"Father, why are they landing?" I ask timidly.

My father, the king, turns to me. "My dear, they want our city."

"But you aren't going to let them have it?" it sounds more like a question.

My father nods. I stand behind him, dressed in a blue gown that sweeps across my ankles. My straight brown hair is pulled tight in a bun on my head. I pray that we are all safe.

The ground stops shaking. They have landed. I look out the large window at a sleek machine. It's so large it nearly covers the entire courtyard. I watch as a ramp is dropped down from the ship.

An old man steps out first. He is decorated in a lavish purple robe with gold ribbon on the cuff of the robe. Two men in uniform step out after him carrying a glowing weapon.

"We should go," my father says as he stands. I follow him to the first floor of the building and through the giant doors.

When we get there, we stand before the old man and a young man dressed in a suit.

There are no bows or curtsies. This is business. Business between worlds.

"Hello. I am King Ander of Embasios. What business do you have on my planet?" My father says.

The old man speaks. "Our planet has been destroyed. I am Vladimer. This is my grandson Kile. We and our people have traveled far to ask for shelter and a home on your planet," the old man's voice is raspy. His eyes are full of hatred.

"We might be able to grant you and your people citizenship on our planet. What race are you?" My father asks.

"We are Infinites." The boy, Kile, speaks.

Infinites. I have never heard of them before. But my father seems to have heard of them as he twitches beside me.

"You may stay in my palace tonight. My maids will show you to some empty rooms," with that my father gives a curt nod before turning back to the castle. I glance at the visitors once again before following.

"Father, what are Infinites?" I ask as soon as we are out of hearing range.

"They are a race who have incredible powers. We must be careful." My father says, distracted.

"What kinds of powers?" He has perked my curiosity.

"Dangerous ones. I want you to have a guard with you at all times." With that my father leaves me.

I know exactly which guard I will pick.

"Adrian, will you escort me for the remainder of the Infinite's visit? My father says it would be safer to have a guard," I say as I find my friend.

"Of course," Adrian says with a smile.

We have been friends since we were children. Adrian has buzzcut brown hair and brown eyes. He's always been my favorite guard.

"Thank you," I say. "Now I have to go get ready for dinner with the Infinites."

With these last few words I head to my room.

***

Dressed in a red strapless gown that covers my ankles, I walk into the dining hall. Already it is full of cheerful people, eating and talking.

I smile. This is my favorite part of the day. I walk to the back of the room and sit beside my father. On the other side of him is Vladimer and Kile sit eating and whispering amongst themselves.

"You look lovely," my cousin, Jonah sits beside me.

"Thank you. You don't look to bad yourself." I joke.

He laughs at me. "Who are they?" He points to the Infinites.

"Visitors," I answer.

"I don't like that they are whispering like that. It seems like they are planning something." Jonah says bitterly.

I look over at our visitors. They appear in deep conversation.

"I don't know," I say.

The food is brought out and placed in front of us. I take my bowl of soup and begin savoring it. Soup is only served on rare occasion.

My father stands. The entire room goes silent and faces him. "I would like to introduce our visitors. These are the Infinites. They will be staying with us for a few days. It is rare occasion that we have visitors so please treat them well."

The whole room applauds. Whether it is for my father or our visitors is uncertain but the sound thunders across the room.

Everyone eats happily. Some people introduce themselves to the visitors while others send curious glances their way.

Vladimer soaks this up. He loves the attention. However Kile seems distant. He doesn't speak.

He catches me looking at him and gives me a sly grin. I quickly look away.

"Are you okay Ember?" Jonah asks.

"Yes." I say.

Soon dessert is brought out. Cake.

A piece is served to me and as soon as I get it, I dig in. This is another rare treat. I know I am showing horrible manners but this is so good.

Jonah lets out a satisfied sigh beside me and I know he is deeply enjoying the dessert.

"Thank you, my lord, for this extravagant feast," Vladimer says.

"This is all for a guest." My father smiles though there is no emotion in it. He's weary of our visitors.

"Father how are you feeling?" I ask.

"Fine my dear. You look lovely tonight," he answers.

"Thanks," I say.

He smiles and I smile back. After my mother died of disease when I was young, my father and I became close.

My father turns back to our guests. He smiles at them. Kile smiles back but Vladimer does not.

Before anyone can register what is happening, Vladimer has plunged a knife into my father's back.

A scream shatters through the room as my father's crumpled body falls to the floor. I think it's mine. 

My cousin draws a saver as he pushes me behind him. Tears stream down my face.

"I am your king now!" Vladimer yells. Beside him Kile slyly grins.

I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look to see Adrian.

"Follow me. We need to get you to safety!" He whisper yells into my ear. I don't even register what is happening as he drags me away from my father.

As soon as we are back in my room, I collapse in a sobbing heap on the bed. Adrian stays away as I shake. Soon I exhaust myself into sleep knowing tomorrow this will not be my city but there's.

However I plan to take it back!

-----------------------------------

This is the first chapter. How do you guys like it? Anyway please vote and comment. Thanks for reading!