Chapter 3

The next day, I sit at the small desk in my room. I normally concentrate when I'm at a desk but that isn't the case here. I'm too distracted.

"Milady," Natalia says as she enters.

"We talked about this Natalia. You are to call me Ember," I say. She's such a sweet thing but I hate being addressed as if I'm royalty when I'm not.

"Right, sorry. Ember we need to get your ready for tonigh," Natalia says.

She rummages around in my closet and comes out with an emerald gown. Though it is lovely, I won't be wearing it.

"I'm not wearing that," I say simply.

"Why not?" Natalia asks.

I stand up and go into the closet. I had been in there earlier looking for something that wasn't a dress. There wasn't a single pair in there.

I had stopped Adrian when he was passing by and asked him to go to my old room. He said it had been left untouched. I asked him to go get a blouse and pair of pants.

He had come back and slipped them into my room. A pair of dark jeans and a yellow blouse that fit perfectly.

I pull the outfit out now.

"You can't wear pants in front of the prince!" Natalia exclaims.

"I'm wearing this and I don't care what the prince thinks," I say.

"Please don't do this," Natalia shakes her head.

"No one can tell me what to wear," I say.

She relents finally and I slip into the outfit. I put my hair in a simple ponytail and put light make up on. I put on some black ballet flats and a necklace with a star on it.

Natalia deems me ready to go see Kile. I'm not at all nervous. I need this information.

I wait in the room for a long time. Honestly this guy takes forever.

Finally I hear a knock on the door. I stand and go over to open it. I turn to face the face of a monster.

"You aren't wearing a dress," he states.

"Thank you for stating the obvious," I snark. Then I regret it. "But I'm ready to go." I say sweetly.

He looks taken aback by my behavior but quickly turns his expression to neutral. "No I'm not saying you look bad. You actually look very beautiful."

It's there again. That possessive look in his eyes. It makes me seem small and scared.

"Shall we go?" He asks after a minute.

I nod. I don't take his arm as we walk but it's clear he expects me to. I might have a long time ago but I will not take the arm of the man who aided in my father's murder.

"I had the cook prepare us a picnic," Kile states as we near a door.

I only nod. He leads me to a courtyard and sits. I sit as well. The silence and tension are thick.

"Would you please explain more about being claimed?" I ask. This is just one part of what I need to know.

Kile seems off by this. "To be claimed is something very close. It's a bond that ties two people together. The two people are destined and are to stay with each other for eternity even after death." Kile explains.

"How did you know I was your 'claimed'" I ask.

"Everything clicked when I saw you. It's hard to explain."

I nod.

"Now Ember. I know you hate me but it wasn't me who helped kill him," Kile says suddenly.

I look up into his eyes. "Wh...what do you mean?"

"He did the same with my parents. He kills royalty but then corrupts his kingdom. He killed his own son because he didn't believe that the planet was ran correctly." Kile says bitterly.

"I don't understand. He killed your parents?" I ask.

"Yes. I was about five years old. It was dark. Vladimer was with my father in a meeting. I had stayed in my mother's room while this meeting was happening. I heard footsteps in the hallway and my mother hid me in her closet. I heard her screams" he takes a shuddering breath and his eyes close" and the door was thrown open. Vladimer stood with a bloody saber and a gruesome smile. He told me he would let me survive. He trained me in ways a child should never be brought up."

I had hated Kile for the past year. But his story makes me realize that we are both only children. Children who have had a destiny but could never meet it. I don't hate him anymore. I understand him.

"I'm so sorry," I say.

He opens his eyes and looks at me. Tears glisten in them but they don't fall.

"I just wanted you to know. Maybe my story has let you connect to me. Ember this may not be love at least not yet. But please let us be friends. Or allies." Kile doesn't have possessiveness in his eyes. There is only vulnerability. And another reason to kill Vladimer.

--------------------

Hey guys it's been such a long time. I'm so sorry I haven't posted. I hope you like this. There will be more about Kile later on but for now I hope you like this. I'll try to post more often. Thanks for reading!