Twenty-One

Hunter^^

I heard Nathan come home and heard him putting down his computer case and other things from work. I immediately ran out of the bed and into the living room.

"Babe, what are you doing up? It's 1:06 in the morning."

"I was watching some scary movies and couldn't go to sleep. How was work? I missed you." I told him as he wrapped his arms around my waist and carefully pulled me into a warm hug.

"Beth, you always do this. Maybe save scary movies for when you aren't home alone? I missed you too, gorgeous." He said, pecking my lips. Nathan bent down and felt my stomach to see if our son was kicking.

"I missed you too, little guy." Nathan said as he stood back up.

"Either way I wasn't home alone, Hunter's in the guest room. How was work?" I asked, wondering why he stayed for so long.

"We went to one of the suppliers today and there was a problem with some of the products people ordered, then it took a while to come back here." Nathan explained to me, and cleared his voice afterwards.

Weird, he usually does that after he's done telling a lie.

"Oh, ok." I said, not wanting to start an argument this late at night.

Nathan's POV

"We went to one of the suppliers today and there was a problem with some of the products people ordered, then it took a while to come back here." I told my girlfriend. I had a tight feeling in my throat, knowing I was lying. I subtly cleared my voice and waited for Beth's reaction.

"Oh, ok."

I was only at work until 8 tonight then I had to meet with Savannah. We had dinner and she got drunk so I ended up having to take her home.

I explained to her that I wanted to be with Bethany and only Bethany. I talked about how much we cared for each other and she wouldn't have it. Savannah continued calling Bethany a gold digger and my unborn son a bastard.

"Let's just go to bed, it's late." I told Beth.

She went back to the bed and curled up under the blanket. I changed into some pajama pants and got in the bed next to her.

Bethany didn't seem to like this, because she moved a few inches away from me.

"Why'd you lie to me?" She asked, facing the other direction.

Crap, she knew.

"I'm doing this for you and our son, Beth. I took Savannah to dinner and talked to her about us." I explained.

"You did what?!" Bethany shouted, moving further away from me and getting out of the bed.

"We talked for a while and I explained to her that I only want you and our son. She continues to talk about you and my unborn son. I had to at least try and talk to her."

"Then why'd you come home so late? Can you explain that to me?"

"She got pretty wasted, I had to take her home and she kissed me, but I didn't kiss her back." I said to her, looking her in her eyes so she would know I was sincere.

"I find it hard to believe what you're saying. You took the lady out to dinner and she got drunk. Mind you, I'm your 8 months pregnant girlfriend, at home practically by myself waiting for you?"

I frowned at what she was saying. I didn't want her to think I actually have feelings for Savannah, because I don't. I just wanted to be with my girlfriend and have a family with her.

"Yes, I took her out for dinner, but that was only to talk, I didn't expect her to kiss me. What do you think of me?" I asked, hurt that she'd think I would cheat on her.

"I don't know right now, but I can't stay here with a man that thinks it's okay to go to dinner with an ex while his pregnant girlfriend is home alone."

My eyes widened when I heard the words 'can't stay here'. Does that mean she's leaving? Is she breaking up with me?

"Bethany, please. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before, I hadn't even thought about what would happen if I went to dinner to talk with her. Please don't leave me, Beth. I love you and I love our son." I begged. I felt water poking at my waterline, knowing I was going to cry any minute.

"I just need a few days. I love you and I will come back, but I can't be here right now." Bethany said, walking her 8 month pregnant self to her closet.

She started getting her suitcase out and taking 2 days worth of clothes and packing it in.

"I love you, Nathan. I'll be back in a few days. I just need to think about this." Bethany told me. She walked to the elevator with her suitcase and I ran up to her and gave her a hug then kissed her pregnant belly

"I love you, too." I told her before the elevator door closed.

Why did I think it would be a good idea to take her to dinner? Even though I only planned on talking to her about backing off. It's all my fault Bethany is leaving for a few days.

I already miss her, but I know she'd still be here if I didn't have that dinner with Savannah. I didn't think anything would happen, the only purpose of it was to get her to leave us alone.