[ chapter five ]

✹

  ✹

Nervousness. That's all anyone seemed to feel. And the fact that Evan had already done this before, only made her swallow the lump in her throat harder. But she had to put a brave face, along with a positive attitude in mind, since Jean was more nervous than her.

Evan's nervous thoughts broke once a hand came in contact with hers. She turned her head and her eyes met Peter's a reassurance swimming within them that seemed to calm her even more. She smiled softly at him, relishing in how his hand felt in hers and the feeling of his thumb drawing adoration upon her hand.

"Were you scared?"

Everyone's attention goes to Jean, the nervous look on her face never wavering. "That night in D.C.?" The question is obviously directed to Raven, and she knows this; a stern look overtaking her face.

"No," she answers quickly, but recovers just as fast, "But I was scared on my first mission. I was on a plane just like this, with my friends. About your age. We called ourselves the X-Men."

"Your brother was there," Raven explained to Scott, "We called him Havoc. He was a handful, but when it came to it, he was very brave."

"What happened to the rest of the kids that went with you? The X-Men?" Kurt speaks up, leaving Raven to fumble in hesitation.

"Hank and I are the only ones left. I couldn't save them all. I told you, I'm not a hero."

"Well you're a hero to us," Evan spoke suddenly.

"Yeah, seeing you that day on tv changed my life," Jean continued her thought.

A chorus of agreement rang through the plane.

"I mean, I still live in my mom's basement, but, you know... well everything pretty much goes the same; I'm a total loser." Peter laughed, along with everyone else. He then leaned closer to Evangeline, whispering something only she would hear.

"Well, maybe I'm not a total loser... I mean, a really sexy and badass girl is holding my hand and still owes me a kiss."