introduction

This fanfic of Yuri!!! on ICE is about around a twenty-three years old Yuuri Katsuki, who returns home to Japan with a heavy heart, depressed that he had let down his nation over his placing at the Grand Prix Finale skating event, however, by some unforeseen miracle, he catches the attention of legendary skater Viktor Nikiforov who opts to become his coach. Disturbed by the sudden activity of the normally docile Yuuri, they are joined by Yuuri's former upperclassman Yui Akaashi, who is also a legend in the field, albeit retired.

Yūri [Yuuri] Katsuki, 23 years old and still child-like — bearing characteristics of being faint-hearted and timid. He is the world's greatest glass heart — privy to screwing up at crucial and important moments much to the despair of his mentor and friends. He strives to be able to finally become someone who is great on the ice like his mentor and finally receives the chance to with the sudden, and strange interest that his longtime idol, Viktor Nikiforov takes in him.

Yui Akaashi, 26 years old: candid and enigmatic — she is known as a cynical former skating queen and a world-class pianist. Her reason for retiring is puzzling to most of her fans, yet the world seems to have more than just high hopes for the former brilliant athlete to return to the stage of the figure skating world. She is sadistic, and a person who can ruin someone's life without batting an eyelash, but seems to hold faith in Yuuri despite all his faults. She holds a complicated relationship with her past skating partner, Viktor Nikiforov, and suspects he has more motives than just training Yuuri out of the kindness of heart.

Victor Nikiforov, 27  years old mysterious and charismatic: he is a 'living legend' of the ice with a rock-star like personality. He holds an impressive record of five consecutive world championships. His personal motto is to surprise people, however, because of his age and track record: it has become difficult to achieve in the late of his career, Yui believes that is the basis of the reason he has taken up training Yuuri, but suspects that there are deeper reasons at play.  He was once the skating partner of Yui Akaashi, the pair that became the first to create international teams for various competitive events.

Yuri Plisetsky, a 15-year-old next-generation Russian figure skater who has won three consecutive junior world championships. Because of his delicate, fairy-like appearance, he is named the "Russian Fairy" among many other things in his performance. However, he is vulgar and delinquent-like off the ice. He is bitter towards both his upperclassman-coach Viktor and his former mentor Yui for reasons unknown.

* * *

-san, the most common formal Japanese honorific is -san, and it translates (approximately) to Ms. and Mr. It is used among classmates, strangers and co-workers as well as for the elderly.

-kun, this honorific is mostly used to address a man or a boy the same age to yourself or younger (e.g., your male classmate, your younger brother), however it is also used as a form of endearment from an older male to a younger female (e.g., grandfather to granddaughter).

-chan, term for enderment — can be used to refer close friends and family, it can also be considered the feminine equivalent of -kun, however it is used to address younger children as well.

-sama, this is the most formal honorific in Japanese culture. It is mostly used as honorific to nobility, royalty or similar (e.g. kings, queens) but it can also be used as a joke to tease someone else (e.g. a bossy person).

-senpai, used to address a person that is older than you or an upperclassman.

-sensei, a term used to address a doctor or a teacher.

Osaahiburi, literally the Japanese equivalent of 'long time no see'.

hentai, adjective and noun: means 'pervert' or 'perverted/perverse'.

fujioshi, similar to hentai (see above), but a fujioshi's taste is more defined by Yaoi and BL (boy love), which is specific to gay or Male/Male only.