Part Ten

The fire was finally dwindling after a long day and night heating the home. The embers burned a deep orange and blinked several times more before they finally extinguished themselves. October mornings were growing darker and darker as the weeks progressed, the sun failing to rise until the children were well on their way to getting ready for school. The slow morn of the Saturday relieved them of that prospect, permitting them to sleep in, distancing the task of Monday's early rise.

The living room of the cabin was still. The sound of heavy breathing provided the steady base for the hum of the TV, persistent despite the lacking audience. The tent was still assembled and the couches were bare of their cushions and throws. An open window permitted a slight chill and Jessica's nude body was the first to feel its effect. She snored lightly a few more times before she began to wake, running her hands through her matted hair. The duvet cover was twisted and tangled around her legs and she squirmed in unconscious protest at the restriction. Her eyes opened and she blinked in the darkness, before slowly sitting up and beginning to detangle herself. She was perched precariously on the edge of the couch, having slept with more than half of her bottom exposed to the room behind her.

Once she was comfortably situated, Jessica muted the TV and settled back to lying in the crook of her lover's arm. Danny was flat on his back, dead to the world. Not a snorer, nor sleepwalker and not one to utter a word during slumber, he was the perfect sleeping companion. Jessica lightly traced the circle of his nipple with her little finger; she had just enough light to admire him fully. He was in need of a shave, something she would encourage before the party that night, and the warm whiff of light body odour made her thighs twitch at the thought of their steamy romp merely hours previously.

Jessica was allowed to watch over her partner for a few minutes more, before the draft woke him also. He bolted upright suddenly, confused by his surroundings, causing Jessica's head to flop onto the pillow with a small grunt of shock.

"Oh, sorry Jessie," Danny said huskily, rubbing his eyes like a child.

"It's okay," Jessica replied, reaching for his bare back. "What time is it?"

She peered up at him as he attempted to focus his swimming vision on the face of his watch.

"Just after five thirty...We've had some early starts this trip."

"We have and I didn't plan on waking up on the couch for any of them."

"Me neither."

Danny lay back down and turned onto his side, placing his hand on her hip.

"Though I much prefer waking here with you rather than by myself," he said. "You're absolutely delicious."

Jessica laughed as she watched his gaze drift down to her uncovered breasts.

"This lighting's doing me so many favours, let me tell you," she said.

Danny shook his head. "You're ridiculous too."

His forehead met hers and they lay in a slack embrace, slowly trailing their hands up and down the other's body, occasionally whispering the gentlest affirmations of love and exchanging small, puckered kisses.

After a while, Danny sat up once more, scanning the room for his trousers before quickly locating them screwed into a ball under the coffee table.

"Do you want a cigarette?" he asked.

Jessica considered his offer for a moment.

"Okay," she said. "But not in the house."

They dressed shabbily, not bothering with underwear, and sat on the front steps, braving the brittle morning.