23

KAI POV

"I'm starting the countdown now, Kai" King chuckles deeply and sweat trickles down the side of my face

"W-wait" My voice cracks upon the request.

Why is it that we cant really think straight when we need to do that the most?

"Jongin-ah" Mom whispers, her voice coarser than the sand paper, "Kyungsoo will be able to take care of you longer than I can. Choose him"

My heart drops, "Shut up, mom"

I walk towards mom and she looks up to me with swollen puffy red eyes, tears streaming down her face. Her lips are trembling as she bites into them. She's scared.

Who wouldnt?

"Stay quiet, I'll work on this" I said, as quietly as possibly so only mom can hear it

I look back at the string connecting Kyungsoo to mom. He cant wake up now, or mom dies. He cant even move. I just have to cut this string but I dont have anything sharp with me. This looks like a fishing rod string, I cant use my own hands.

Kyungsoo is seated so far away, will there be enough time for me to run back to mom if I move him first?

"Kai, I am not a fool. I didnt ask you to save both of them, CHOOSE. Be the animal you are! No matter what you do, one of them will die" King scowls and there's a big smug on his face that I would like to rip off, thank you very much

"Jongin there's no time" Mom shakes her head, already at the brink of giving up

"M-mom, listen, I'll come back for you. I swear I will. Just try to fall down after I move Kyungsoo, okay?" I hold both of her shoulders, wanting her to get out of the shot gun's way

"Decide now, Kai" King states as he pushes a button next to him.

I can clearly see digits on the small screen in red, a countdown for me. 30,29,28,27..

I start to run towards Kyungsoo when King and his men hold up their guns against me, mom and Kyungsoo. I had to freeze on the spot and look around.

"You dare take another step! Or I wont have to wait for another second for either one to die" He threats. I only have 20 seconds left.

Mom then suddenly wriggles in her chair, creating loud thumping noise.

"Kyungsoo wake up! Kyungsoo!" She shouts directly at Kyungsoo who is still unconscious

I-Is she trying to decide it for me?

"Mom shut up!"

"Kyungsoo wake up now! Kyungsoo!" She ignores me and keeps on shouting.

King hands me a scissor, "Stay where you are. Cut the string if you want to save your mom"

Now that I have a scissor, I can cut it but King will shoot all three of us. What good is that?

"Dont, Kai. Dont" Mom snaps me out of my thoughts with a cracking voice.

The last time I saw her as scared as this was when father beat her.

Despite that, a gentle smile appears on her lips, "It's okay son, I'll be fine. Go and get him. Alright? It's not your fault"

"Mom, dont" I burst into tears, my lips stretches wide as I grit my teeth trying to suppress the ugly sobs I have

I let my head rest against mom's chest and she looks down, sniffing into my hair. She plants kisses on it, telling me how much she loves me.

"I am so proud of you, you know that? Never forget that mom loves you. I am so thankful that you are my son. So strong, so smart, so loving. I couldnt ask for more"