10

Homesick - Catfish and The Bottlemen

Van

I lift the pen from the paper and take a break from writing. I study the scene behind the hotel window, the streetlights of Glasgow make the 12am city glow in front of me. It's been a week since I left Llandudno, a week since I've spoken to Emily. I've had no texts, no calls, nothing. However, I haven't made the effort to contact her either, so I shouldn't really complain. The way she flips out on me gets me so angry, I had to get away for a bit. So I booked a few gigs and here I am, writing songs about how much I miss her.

As if on cue, my phone vibrates from the other side of the room, it's Emily. I'm shocked, but waste no time in answering as if there is no tension between us.

"Hello?"

"Hello stranger," she exclaims, slurring at the other end of the line. She's drunk, I can hear it in her voice. It makes sense now though, no way would she have rang if she was sober.

"Where are you?" I immediately ask her, knowing just how vulnerable and stupid drunk Emily can be.

"Oh I'm uh," she pauses. "I'm walking home, met up with Laura at the pub,"

"What, you're walking by yourself?" I'm concerned now, it's late and as harsh as it sounds, she can be clueless after a few drinks.

"Yep, can you pick me up?" she asks sloppily.

"Em, you know I'm in Glasgow,"

"Fuck sake," she whines. "Can't you come home yet?"

"I'm coming home tomorrow Emily," I reassure her.

"Please, I- I've really missed you," she drunkenly admits. I know if she was sober those words wouldn't come out of her mouth, she never lets her guard down like that. "Oh, shit," she says to herself quietly.

"What?" I ask her.

"Dropped my lighter,"

"Just concentrate on getting home now," I remind her. My main concern right now is her getting home safely.

"And I'm really sorry for losing my shit," she slurs once again, as if she's not listening to my pleas at all. "The other night, I'm so sorry Van,"

"It's fine, Emily, I'm over it, now where are you? Are you almost home?" I genuinely am over it now, I should have never left when I did, after all she needs me right now and I've let her down.

"And I'm sorry I didn't apologise earlier," Emily carries on blabbering, completely avoiding my questions. "I was going to say sorry earlier but-"

"Are you almost home?" I repeat myself, cutting her off- having already got the message that she is sorry.

"Van, I'm trying to make a nice soppy moment here, don't ruin it," I let out a laugh, picturing her pout when she says that.

"Just let me know where you are," I sound gentler now. "Stop being difficult, I'm just looking out for you,"

"That's a lie," she answers back, almost in a flirtatious way.

"Just answer me," I laugh again. "Where are you?"

"You'd be glad to know, I am on my street."

Hallelujah.

"How's your dad Emily?" I decide to keep her talking, knowing she'd probably fall asleep standing if I don't keep her awake.

"He's uh," she takes a breath, and somehow becomes serious in her drunken state. "He's not great,"

There is a short silence.

"He'll get better," I assure her, not believing it fully myself.

"Yeah he will," she suddenly livens up, almost as if she doesn't want me to worry. Before I have time to talk back, she changes the subject. "Will you come over when you get home?"

"Of course," I tell her. She needs somebody right now. She's going through hell and I've not been helpful at all, leaving her at a time like this. I owe it to her.

"I've really missed you," she repeats, probably forgetting she has told me once before.

"You've already said that," I tell her laughing, however I don't think she believes me.

I hear muffled sounds. "I'm home Van," she tells me. I hear the unlocking of a door, letting me know she is home safe. Finally, I feel a weight being lifted from my shoulders.

"Get some sleep yeah? I'll see you tomorrow," I tell her.

"Thank you Van," she slurs once more. "I'll see you,"

"Take care," I wait for her to hang up, in case she wants to say anything else. She doesn't.

As soon as the line goes dead, I find myself writing another song, feeling inspired by that one phone call.