18 - To Think We Were Done With Secrets

(Cover used as a side picture made by @Shannerz)

Comment, Vote, Fan, Enjoy ~

***

Chapter 18: Ryan

            “Harmony, this is my dad.” He smiled at her and brought his hand up. She returned the gesture and shook it, gleaming radiantly and genuinely with those dimples that I’ve grown to love on her.

            “It’s nice to meet you Mr. Haven.”

            “And it’s a pleasure to meet the girl that has my son going insane.” He chuckled and I felt my checks flush a scarlet red as Harmony tried holding back laughter.

            “Dad, really?” I said, scratching the back of my head and trying desperately to change the topic.

            “Son, what did I do wrong?”

            “Yeah Ryan, what did your father do wrong?” Harmony agreed with a burst of giggles.

            “Not even five minutes and you’re already ganging up on me with my dad.” I shook my head and laughed myself.

            “I’m just that amazing.” She replied, rustling my hair with one of her hands.

            “I was just about to order in pizza. Any preferences?” My father asked the both of us.

            “Hawaiian with extra pineapple.” We answered at the same time. I saw her bit her lip to hide a smile as she leaned into me, lacing her fingers with mine.

            “I guess baseball isn’t the only thing you two have in common. I’ll go call Pizza Planet. Dinner’s in thirty. That okay with you?”

            “That’s perfect. Thank you Mr. Haven.”

            “Thank you for stealing my son’s heart. Well mannered and beautiful, she’s a keeper Ryan.” He winked before leaving.

            “Do parents do anything but embarrass you?” I thought aloud after my dad had left to order and we moved into the living room.

            “That’s just part of their job. He does it because he loves you. Don’t take that for granted.” She spoke in such a quiet voice that I barely caught on to her last sentence, but I heard it and she knew I did too.

            “I’m sorry.” I said stupidly. Here I am complaining about my father’s humiliate-your-child tactics when Harmony would do anything to get teased by if it meant seeing her own parents again. At least I still had one.

            “It’s not your fault. I use to feel the same way.”