Confessions of a Stepdaughter

Chapter 1

The Beginning of the End..

The year is 1998. All you hear is screams from the kitchen, my mom and step father are arguing again, this time it's different. Mom is screaming "we are leaving". I peek out the doorway, my brother says, "Sis, mind your own business, it's  not like they never argue". "But, she's saying we are leaving, where the heck are we going to go?" I explained. "Who knows, all I want is silence" He replied. I suck my teeth and keep peeking. The next day I'm sitting in the living room watching Spanish soap operas. I was a tad bit into them when I was younger. Then once again, like clockwork, arguing. Then out of nowhere my mother flys across the living room towards the Tv. I stay speechless watching my mother get up in fury. Once she got up, not a single tear just pure rage. She went towards my step father. He didn't expect her to get up effortlessly.  My brother grabbed a knife and aimed it towards my stepfather.  I get up rushing towards the kitchen but cautiously.  I had no idea what my brother was going to do. "Don't  you ever put your hands on my mother!" He yelled. My mother now punching my father. He was surrounded. I was terrified but, I was quite the badass. I figured well, if I get knocked out at least I tried. My brother, went towards a wall that separated the living from the kitchen in our tiny 2 bedroom apartment. He just started scratching the wall with the knife. He didn't want to hurt anyone. My mother kicked my step father out and he left. I tried calming my brother down but it was diffcult. Once he gets upset he blacksout. Nothing or no one can get to him. My mother went towards him. "Sweetie, give me the knife. He left he isn't  here any more." She said in a soothing voice. He dropped the knife and was crying of frustration.  I stood silently trying to process what the hell happened. I wondered, is this a dream, or did my stepfather actually do what he did. That was the first and last time he ever lifted his hand to my mother. The next few days were a blur. We began to pack, everything being stuffed in boxes.The last day we were in that random apartment, I remember looking outside.  Seeing the kids play. The pool that was filled with grass because the landlord figured we were too poor to swim. I had always loved swimming, then I saw that not so perfect pool. My swimming dreams faded. I knew were leaving, I didn't  really get to say Bye to my friends. My life in the city. I hated not being able to say goodbye. I resented my stepfather for that. "Mami, come help me put the boxes in the truck", my mom shouted. I shrugged, I really didn't  want to leave my life especially not fully understanding why. Then out of nowhere my stepfather showed up. He had bags of clothes. "I'm going with you" He said. My mother goes so you do love me. I see my stepfather and brother close the truck door and hop into it. My mother shouted "Well, are you staying?". I rolled my eyes at her and walked away looking back at the little apartment that I knew I wouldn't miss.