Chapter 66

*2 weeks later*

Today was the day. Today was Niall's funeral. 

It was only a small gathering with around 50 people. We did not want too many people around. I have mainly let family and close friends go to the funeral. I asked for no sympathy cards or gifts I just asked for a donation to the Alzheimer's society. 

There will be two of our grandchildren at the end of the service collecting money that will be donated to the Alzheimer's society. 

I took a deep breath as I got changed into my bright green dress. I know you're probably thinking why on earth are you wearing bright green to a funeral?

Well Niall never wanted people to wear black or dark colours to his funeral. He has always told me he wanted bright colours, he wanted happiness and memories to be remembered by associating them with bright happy colours not dark gloomy colours. 

There's no black at the funeral. None at all. 

The funeral cars arrived ready to pick us up. As we pilled into the cars it suddenly hit me. This was my final goodbye. My final time to tell my husband just how much I loved, love him. 

*

Arriving at the church we all made our way into the church to the song 'Time To Say Goodbye by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman' 

"You may all be seated" The priest spoke.

"We meet here so that we can pay tribute to the late Niall Horan. We are here to express our love and bring comfort to his family and friend who are saddened by the recent death of Niall. Niall was such a lovely man. I knew Niall. I went to school with the Lad. He was always laughing, always making jokes. He was such a cool lad." The priest continued. 

"Niall had some very specific wishes that he wanted to be fulfilled if he was ever to pass before his wife Alexandra Horan. I see his one wish of not wearing dark colours to his funeral has been fulfilled. It is like a rainbow between all of you gathered today. I also know another one of his wishes was to have a fountain and benches placed near your private burial ground. On behalf of the church, we have provided these items to your allocated area in memory of Niall, and his friends who have also passed and been buried on that private land. I hope his family will gain some form of comfort from knowing that Niall's final wishes were able to be carried out"

The priest sighed. 

"I will tell you a little story. Before Niall was diagnosed with Alzheimer's we met up for a drink. Drink of 'water' as Niall would call it. He was forgetful then and I took that opportunity to find out Niall's wishes. Do you know what he told me? He said 'Gareth, want to know what I really wish for? I wish that my wife will be looked after if I pass before her. I wish there would be a bench by the graves that she could sit on so she did not have to struggle to get up off of the ground. I told him I would make it happen so I have. As for looking after Alex I can see she will be very well looked after by her family and friends so Niall, all of your wishes have been granted. If you would all bow your heads in respect as I read out a prayer"

"O God, who brought us to birth,
and in whose arms we die,
in our grief and shock,
contain and comfort us;
embrace us with your love, 
give us hope in our confusion,
and grace to let go into new life;
through Jesus Christ.
Amen"

"Now for tributes"

A video started to playing. 

"Hi everyone, we wanted to show you what grampy Niall was really like" the grandchildren's voices boomed. 

"We need a fire extinguisher, someone get me a fire extinguisher" a voice boomed before it showed one of the grand cakes running into the living room with a burnt cake. 

A few seconds later Niall walked in and looked at the cake. 

"Ooh, chocolate cake" he spoke. 

He bit into the cake then immediately spat it out.

"No one told me it was burnt and hot! I've got no tongue left now" Niall laughed. 

The video skipped to a different clip which showed Niall attempting to fish and struggled to pull the fish out of the sea and ended up falling in.

The video then skipped to a few other video clips before ending on a cute clip.

"But why do we love him? We love him because he is kind, caring and always made nanna Alex happy" The grandchildren smiled as a clip of Niall and myself dancing started to play. 

"We miss you gramp, fly high." 

The video turned off and everyone had smiles on their faces, there was a round of applause as well.

"Niall had a brilliant life and he shares great memories with you all. I hope that you leave here today satisfied with today's service. Hold on to your memories with the ones you love and remember to let them know you love them daily."

As the curtain began to close around Niall's coffin the final song began to play. The final song was 'Angelis - Even Though You're Gone'

As the curtain finally closed we all stood up and began to leave the church ready for the wake. 

I felt a bit funny. I wanted to cry, I wanted to laugh, I do not know what I was feeling apart from all this crying has given me a raging migraine and pain.