Until Midnight - III

"We have to leave at 11:45," Ellie told Matthew in the car. The occasional rain drop fell, splattering against the windshield.

"Why?"

"Because that's when Lily and I usually leave. I'm always home to watch the clock say twelve," she explained, not noticing how Matthew's eyes rolled as he turned to stare out the window.

"Where'd you get that dress?" he asked, still turned away.

Ellie grinned, "It was a gift."

This caught Matthew's attention, and he turned back to face her. "From who?"

"It's a secret."

Matthew wondered if Ellie had a boyfriend. She'd dated a few guys over the years, but she hadn't mentioned anyone recently. Maybe that guy from the bar, he thought, Carl or whatever his name was.

When they arrived at the Palace it was more crowded than usual. Every seat was taken by people in elegant dresses and suits. Some people wore gaudy plastic crowns on their heads which threatened to topple off as they laughed and danced. Once Ellie was in the door and seated at the bar with her drink, Matthew left to mingle with a small group of acquaintances.

"Ellie! I didn't think you'd come."

It took Ellie a couple of minutes to recognize the tall man standing in front of her. It was Cam, in a very expensive-looking navy tuxedo with a deep red rose pinned to his lapel. He wore no crown, but his bearing was royal nonetheless. "Prince Charming," she breathed.

Cam smiled. "I guess I'll allow it for tonight. Since my lady commands it."

Ellie looked around for the lady he was referring to.

"I mean you, Ellie. You look... you look like a princess out of a fairy tale."

Everything was so strange tonight, Ellie thought. Cam wasn't acting himself but that was somehow alright with her. He reached out his hand to hers, offering to lead her onto the dance floor. Surely he'd watched her dance hundreds of times, but dancing with him, was it really okay? She decided it was. It had to be; why else would she want it so badly?

She took his hand but tripped as she stood, falling into his arms. Her muscles tightened, rejecting his body pressed so closely around her, breaking her focus and making her feel trapped. She pushed him away, and then waited for him to get upset or leave. He did neither and she looked up to find him waiting patiently a foot or so away.

She counted the petals on the rose to calm herself. He didn't move. When she was done she kicked off her heels, abandoning them beside the bar and reached out her hand to him once more. "I hate those things."

He laughed and took her hand in his.

They danced together for most of the night until Ellie felt the familiar clench of her stomach. She looked up at the clock – it was already 11:50.

"I have find Matthew," she told Cam, walking away without explanation. She searched the milling crowd urgently, twining in and out of the swaying bodies. She bumped into people who shoved her away or swore, but she had to find Matthew. She finally noticed him at a table near the back wall, seated with a bunch of people Ellie had never met.

"Matthew, we have to go," she told him.

"Calm down li'l sister," his voice slurred and Ellie could barely make out his words, "Is still early."

"Matthew, we're late. We have to get home!" Her voice was raised, adrenaline burning in her veins. The other people around the table looked at her, their eyes hungry and curious. Matthew's face turned a shade redder than it had already been.