Ch.1 (Part II)

Chapter 1 Part II

Elizabeth combed her hair with her hands.  Her little curls would bounce back after being stretched out.  She threw her blonde wavy hair into a high pony tail.  She looked at her reflection and sighed.  Then closed her bag and trotted off.

Once, she had her hair cut rather short. Back when she was a waitress. And it made her look older-more mature. That was why her mother said she didn't like it.

"Doctor, if there is no where to go then, what happened to all the people in this section?"

"I don't know." he replied, his attention never leaving the bubbling orange goo.  "There is something else here..." he mumbled to himself, preparing to drop the topic.  He stood up from his kneel-ed, hunched over position and broadened his back like he was unfolding himself.  His tall, confident figure towered over her.  He continued getting taller by tiptoeing.  He was attempting to look over Elizabeth without requiring her to move. He looked like he was measuring something.  She remained looking at him blankly.  He barely noticed her. 

"It was here.  This is a substance given off from illegal DRIP portals used to smuggle new elements not found on the intergalactic periodic table!..." he sounded so proud to have found out, except Elizabeth found no understanding in the matter. 

"I knew it..." he stated knowing she knew nothing on the subject. 

"So here, there's a different periodic table? Is it completely different from ours or could you find some elements that are the same?" she pestered. 

"Um, depends what planet really," he answered, leading her to the nearest wall.

"Cool."

"...So that means they came through here.  And chances are, they brought the mosquitoes in with them." he noted, inspecting the wall.

"Doctor, talking about mosquitoes, is that one?" It was almost microscopic and just above the Doctor's head too.  It was on the wall that he was leaning on.  Elizabeth's heart started thumping.  Her hate for insects and nervousness of how close the parasite was to him just made her want to jump out of her skin.  Her sight never left it - even though the Doctor told her not to so that he could find something to contain it with. He quickly jogged to the nearest cafeteria table that had a mug on it. By the time the Doctor captured it in the mug, her eyes were heavy with disgust and discomfort.  

It was a glass, transparent mug-adding to the clean and clinical look (almost all furniture and accessories were spotlessly white or a sparkling transparent)-and it allowed him to study the creature with little difficulty. 

*

"Next time you want a cuppa, how about we find a local cafe, yeah? There's a nice one around the corner to where I live." I tried to make a small easy, light weight conversation to make the painfully long walk to the captain's lodge a lot, well, less painful. 

We eventually got there to find the door locked.  The Doctor tried to sonic it, thank God it worked. 

It was a mess. I was shocked.  I gasped and put my hand to my mouth.  There was the largest hole in the wall.  It left the perfect, beautiful view of earth.  And space.  And all of the escaped appliances floating in the vacuum.  I stepped towards it.  How was I not being sucked out right now?

And like the Doctor read my mind, he explained, " The oxygen shield must have just gone up now." He was crouched by a man in the corner.  He stood back up again, disappointed. "He's dead."

"Is there anyone to fly the ship?"

"Nope."

"Do you know what happened in here?"

"Most probably something got into this room, something bad-worse than mosquitoes because the Captain wouldn't have seen them- and then opened a hole in the wall to evacuate them. And because he is still here and we are not in space, is because he was smart enough to press the oxygen shield switch as soon as they were out. Impressive."

"Then why is he dead?"

"He's been shot. And I know who shot him."

"But they're gone now, right?"

**

"Okay, let me explain it again. These guns deteriorate anything it shoots and about 2 inches of the area around the object. Right?"

"Right."

"The Captain had one. That's how he opened the wall. The smugglers are gone. But that is unimportant. Especially because of the fact that the only reason that they were on the ship in the first place was to get these mosquitoes to the ship's destination. Which is bad. Especially because it was for political reasons. And even worse for us because these flying buggers are lethal and everywhere and we don't have much time."

"But you can find their weakness or something you've analysed one!"

"Hmm... not necessarily."

After a while of thinking hard about every single fact. And every single scenario and conclusion. I stumbled upon something.

"Wait a second, all of the people are gone. They've been evacuated. The Captain's already dead. If we were to nick his gun. Open the wall, get to the TARDIS, go back to the main control room. Override all settings and blow up the ship before it gets to the planet. The ship still gets selfdestructed... just not by the Captain. And it was because we were here, the smugglers had to run, when they went to the control room they were killed earlier, which bought all of the evacuees time to evacuate! Nobody dies like they did before!"

"Well we better get a move on then, Liz!" the Doctor said after looking half impressed and half baffled at how he didn't think of that earlier.

***

It was beautiful. There was no deafening 'BOOM'. But there was a fireworks show. All of the different coloured sparks. The ginormous bomb fire. And it was fun, after all, pointing out all of the different objects they saw from the debris.  The Doctor and Elizabeth sat at the open doors of the TARDIS, feet hanging out and drinking tea, simply observing and feeling the satisfactory seize of the day.