Chapter 4

"Hello?"

Nat looked at me with wide eyes. We called the number. And that was her brothers voice.

"Jay..? Its me, Nat." She spoke nervously.

"Nat! Oh my god i was scared you moved or something but your room looked like it had everything in it." He asnswered.

"B-but. You died. You were in a car crash."

That was when i realized. I was never able to choose for Jay. But when i first realized i had the power, there was a note. I didnt read it completely but it said something like i wouldnt be able to choose for someone if they werent completely human or something like that. I thought that was crazy so i payed no attention to it. But, that would explain Jay, wouldnt it?

"Hey Nat, can i talk to Jay for a minute?" I ask.

She looks up at me, "Yeah, sure." She hands me the phone.

"I have to talk to him in private if you dont mind. And before you start getting ideas, no we were never dating."

She smiles a little, "Yeah, okay." She leaves the room.

"Jay, you there?" I ask in a whisper in case Nat is listening.

"Yeah, whats up Sam." He responds right away.

"You did die in the crash, didnt you?"

"Y-yes.."

"Then explain. I know more than you think." I say that to see if he gets the hint.

I hear him sigh. "Sam, you wouldnt believe me if i told you."

"Believe me, i would. I think i already know."

I swear i could hear his eyes widen. "So.. im guessing you figured out im not exactly human.."

"Yup. So then tell me. What are you?" I ask him.

"I am technicly a Grim Reaper. But not like the ones you see in movies with the creepy hook sword thing-"

"A scythe?"

"Yeah, that thing," i hear him laugh to himself, "though i did buy a fake one for the fun of it. Sorry. Anyways. When i died i could feel i wasnt really dead. I had no idea untill then though. I woke up after the funeral. Yes. In the coffin. I felt like a vampire. It was creepy. I suddeny felt a surge of power and i was able to 'teleport' i guess, to the ground above me. I know, its confusing. But wait. How did yo-"

He finally caught on. "You dont need to know that." I cut in. "Thats all i needed to know. Thank you, Jay."

"Um, you're welcome..?"

I open the door and Nat is standing there. I hand her the phone. "Here, thanks. I have to go, ill see you at school."

"Oh, okay. Bye." She responds, obviously confused.

I run out of the house and yell thank you over my shoulder to her mom.

Im halfway to my house when someone suddenly apears in front of me. I run into them and stumble backwards and fall. I look up to see who it was.

"Hey, you wouldnt believe who i just ran into." It was Jay. He was talking on the phone to someone. I glare at him.

"That was probably the worst joke ever." I complain and stand up.

He smiles, "Nope. That was the best joke."

I roll my eyes at him, "Whatever. What are you doing anyways?" I ask him.

"I was gunna ask you the same thing. Why were you running, huh?" He raises his eyebrows at me.

"I uh.. i.. n-no reason." I studder. I was running to find him. But now that hes here i dont have to.

"Mmhhhmmmm." He says with a sarcastic voice. "So Sam. How did you know what i was?" He asks suspiciously.

"I dont know. I mean, it was obvious you werent human." I respond.

"Thats not what i meant. I mean how would you even have any idea," his eyes suddenly widen, "Are you.. a Chooser?"

My eyes widen and i try to deny it but its too late. He saw. He knows. "You are! Oo, what do you choose, huh? Job? Place to live? Vacations?" He asks. I didnt even know i wasnt the only, 'Chooser', as he called it.

I respond, "N-no.. I-" he cuts in.

"No? How? Theres no other kinds of Choosers..?" There isnt?

I suddenly tell him. "I choose how people die. And i knew you werent human because i was never able to choose for you."

His eyes widen. "You.. you live forever. No other Chooser does that. And ive only ever heard of Death Choosers. Everyone just asumes they're a myth. But you're one.."

"Dont tell anyone! Please, Jay." I start to panic a little.

He shakes his head, "No, i wont tell. If i did, who knows what people would do.."

"Umm, hello??" Me and Jay both turn around at the voice. Its Nat.

"Well uh, i have to go.. you two have fun!" I flash them a smile and run home.

--------------------------------------------------

This was probly the longest chapter and sorry if it was boring. I didnt know what else to write but i felt like Nat's brother shouldnt be human. Idk.

~ Kaitlyn ◕‿◕