We All Fall In (Lunch) Line

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock. 7:00 am, Tuesday. I hit the snooze button on my alarm and get out of bed.

I'm the kind of person to leave out my outfit for school the night before. I don't have time to search for my clothes in the morning.

I look at myself in the mirror one last time. I don't know what I'm expecting, i basically wear the same thing everyday

"Hey, mom." She turns around and smiles. "Good morning, Ruby. What do you want for breakfast?" I walk towards the cabinet. "Oh, I'm just going to make cereal." I said taking out the Fruity Pebbles.

As I was eating, my mom was looking through the mail. "Oh, sweetie. You're father wrote you a letter-" I shot out of my seat  and towards her. "What? Let me see." I said. My mom was surprised that I was surprised about it.

I grabbed the letter and looked over the envelope. Then reality hit me like a bus. "I don't want it." I walked towards the trash and threw it away.

"But, don't you wanna read it, Ruby?" I shook my head and sat on the island chair. "No, mom. I really don't." I said as i took a bite of my cereal. My mom put her hand on mine.

"It was in the past, Ruby. Wanna talk about it?" I pulled my hand away and rubbed my face. "I don't wanna talk about this right now." She nodded.

"So, what I wanna know, is if you're going to talk to this Josh boy today." I began eating my fruity pebbles again. "Eh. Maybe." She shook her head.

"I think it'd be a good step for you. Just like your therapist said, you have to take chances with people and trust them." I rolled my eyes. Ugh i hate that word.

"Well, he's nice and all, but I don't fully know him, mom. I barely met him yesterday. All I know about him is that his name is Josh, he has pink hair and piercings, he likes to talk, or at least i think he does." I said plainly.

"Why doesn't he like the cracks in the sidewalk?" She wondered. "I don't know, he said it's a danger hazard." She nodded. "But, I'll talk to him when I'm comfortable. I promise." She smiled and nodded.

I checked the digital clock on the stove and jumped out of my seat. "I have to go, mom." I put my bowl in the sink and hugged my mom. "Okay, try to unload some boxes when you get home. Maybe tonight we can watch a scary movie on Netflix." I nodded and waved goodbye to her.

I don't have a car. I walk everywhere. I don't have any big places to go, plus I just never got around to it. Or I'm just lazy.

--

I'm currently in fourth hour and I'm very uninterested. My fourth hour is History and we're learning the same thing I already learned in Chicago.

I sit next to the window, so I spend my time looking out the window admiring the nature. I've always loved looking out windows. Except at night. That frickin' scares me.

"Ruby Johnson." I snap my head toward the front of the classroom at Ms. Showenhanger. I hate her name.

"Do you maybe wanna tell the class why you aren't paying attention?" Oh no. This happens every year. Some teacher gets mad at me for some reason and draws attention to me.

I mean, yes it's mostly my fault for doing something they don't like, but I can't help it.

I shook my head. I don't wanna tell everybody why I was looking out the window.

1. I wasn't bothering anyone
2. It doesn't matter

"Ms. Johnson, pat attention!" Everyone in class snickered at me.