Ch. 12: Thorin Awakens from his Dream to Continue His Quest

“Thorin’s Dream of Love”, Ch. 12:   Thorin Awakens from his Dream to Continue His Quest,  November 14, 2013 Gratiana Lovelace

(This is an original fan fiction story by Gratiana Lovelace; All rights reserved;  The characters from “The Hobbit:  An Unexpected Journey” and “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” are owned by Warner Brothers, no copyright infringement is intended) [(1) story logo left]

[From time to time, I will illustrate my story with my dream cast of:  Richard Armitage as Prince Thorin Oakenshield, Lucy Griffiths as Lady Kiralin, Jeffrey Thomas as King Thror, Mike Mizrahi as Prince Thrain, Lee Pace as King Thranduil, Graham McTavish as Lord Dwalin, Orlando Bloom as Prince Legolas, Evangeline Lilly as Captain Tauriel, Ken Stott as Lord Balin, Hugo Weaving as Lord Elrond, and Adam Brown as Gralin,  Aidan Turner as Kili, and Dean O'Gorman as Kili, etc.]

Author’s Mature Content Note:  “Thorin’s Dream of Love” is a story of romance and intrigue set amidst the backdrop of Middle Earth.  As such there will be some passages in this story involving heartfelt love scenes (R rated) and some passages involving highly dramatic moments.  I will label the maturity rating of those chapters accordingly.  Otherwise, the general rating for this story is PG or PG-13 due to some mature situations and topics.  If you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide, then please do not read the chapters with those labels.  This is my disclaimer.

Author’s Recap from the previous installment:  Nine months ago when the Dwarves began their quest, they left their families and loved ones behind--perhaps never to see them again.  It was a heartwrenching parting--made more so for Queen Kiralin because her whole family is on this quest in support of her husband, King Thorin.  But the Dwarves, their wizard Gandalf and their burglar Bilbo have much yet to do.

“Thorin’s Dream of Love”, Ch. 12: Thorin Awakens from his Dream of Love to Continue His Quest

After a long night of dreaming about his life as it long ago once was, King Thorin Oakenshield [(1) above right story logo] awakens leaning against the hard boulder that he had fallen asleep on while he and his Dwarven comrades are on their quest to reclaim their birthright of Erebor.  There is a smile on Thorin’s face for gazing upon the beautiful image of his wife Kiralin [(2) right] just before his eyes open.  Lord Dwalin on night watch sees his friend, nephew, and king awaken and he comments.

Lord Dwalin:  Whispering so as not to awaken the others, though some are merely dozing unbeknownst to them.  “You smile, my friend.  … Thinking of her?”  Lord Dwalin smiles in thinking of his niece, Kiralin, Thorin’swife.

King Thorin: “How can I not?  My Lady wife Queen Kiralin is ever in my nightly dreams.   In our early marriage years--when I would journey to our people far and wide in exile--she was always waiting for me to come home.  We were never apart for long.  So our separation now is difficult for both of us.   But now, I somehow feel that I am hastening home to her by fulfilling our quest--and then I will never leave her again.  Our time together as husband and wife of 171 years is still not enough--she is my love and she is my life.”  He says with unabashed tenderness.  “I have promised to come back to her, and I always keep my promises.”  He smiles wryly.

Lord  Dwalin:  “Ah!  But our quest to reclaim Erebor is frought with danger.   Thorin, why do we not accept the lives we have built since Smaug claimed the mountain and be done with it?”  Lord Dwalin scowls mightly [(3) right].   

King Thorin: “I cannot leave our heritage behind with none to care that we were once a great people!”  King Thorin hisses with bitterness for being a king with no kingdom and his people not having their birthright.