What's Dating?

The next morning Rochelle woke up, took a shower, brushed her teeth, and changed into her regular attire. She came downstairs to find no one was awake yet. She woke up earlier to finish everything before her father and brother, now she didn't. She decided to cook breakfast, she made pancakes, eggs sunny-side up, bacon, toast, and set the table.

At six Kenneth came downstairs already dressed. "Wow mom that smells good, mom?" he looked around but didn't see his mother. He saw Rochelle at the table reading.

"I made breakfast," She told him.

"Wow thanks you didn't have to. It all looks so good," Kenneth sat down and ate. Kathy and Brenda came down and ate too, telling Rochelle she didn't have to.

"I like cooking for people, I'm sorry if I woke you," Rochelle said sadly, thinking they might hit her. When Kenneth reached for her to hug her she flinched, "Please don't," She whispered.

"How's your leg?" Ken asked.

"Fine thank you. I am going to walk to school," She took the plates to the sink and got her bag. "Have a nice day," and she was off.

Ken walked to school too. He took his bag and camera quickly. "Rochelle!" she spun around and he took a picture of her. "Your hair covers your face..." Ken said checking the picture.

"I know," she sighed "My mom liked it this way I'm keeping it this way," She explained and walked quickly to school. She sat down in her homeroom with Kenneth right next to her.

"So..." Kenneth started, "want to go out some time?"

"Out where?" Rochelle asked confused.

"Like a date," Ken explained.

"Date?" Rochelle looked at him confused.

"Yeah a date. You've never heard of a date before?" he asked.

"Yes, once! My brother had a 'date' to a dance at this school once!" She said.

"Do you know what a date is?" Ken asked.

"Um...I know it's a food," she offered.

"No silly. Its like when two people like each other so the go somewhere, sometimes alone if they really like each other or in a group if they don't know each other well," he explained.

"But...I don't like you," she replied casually.

"What?" Ken asked.

"I said 'I don't like you'" Rochelle repeated.

"But why?!" Ken asked.

"Because I don't know you, I cannot like someone I don't know," Rochelle said firmly.

"Well um..." Ken thought quickly, "a date is also when you get to know someone better and figure out if they like them."

"But you said it was when they like each other!" she exclaimed.

"Well that's when you are dating," Kenneth replied.

"Dating?" she looked confused.

"You have so much to learn," Ken shook his head as more kids filed in.