Part 3: This Is Our Plan

"Just believe in yourself and the world's darkness will break around you..."

I mentioned my best friend Myra earlier, she is 16 as well and has green eyes (rare for our community).

She is a Darkheart with a special talent, a talent that can empower even the lowest of the low not to give up. Her power was speech.

Her father, a Lightheart, was an Announcement Officer.

Basically, in a less grander way, he was the person who would make speeches to the people and was the lead adviser to our Prime Judge (the leader of this community).

As Myra was there when the Lightheart girl saw me, she was also placed in Hell's End. But her hand wasn't cut like mine, at least the Authorised Personnel respected the feminine division of us Darkhearts.

When she was released, she came running to my room. Throwing the cheep corkboard door aside, she pounced onto my mattress and began to ask about my message. Turning to face her, I realised it was time to tilt my plan into motion...

After discussing the details over with each other for an hour, we decided to get a meal for the younger ones.

Spreading the message to eatch child as we passed them the dented metal bowls of fried bone marrow and sweetbreads.

The cups used to be glass until some Darkheart from decades ago decided to throw one against a wall and shatter it. Apparently she took the shards and attacked everyone near her with them...

So now I'm standing here, plunking down the heavy metal beaker next to the food.

Myra cooked this time. We both decided that the younger ones should have the more tastier food and the most food, so that they have a higher level of surviving their later lives.

After wiping down the bowls and beakers we cleared the kids off to play, encouraging them to spread the word about our message.

When the room was empty, Myra and I rolled up the carpets and dragged them outside for the others to beat and clean.

Turning the lights off, we slipped back to our rooms. A silent prayer was muttered before the daybreak bell sounded and we older ones fell on to our mattresses in hopes of a deep slumber...