Prologue

Epoch

(n) a particular period of time in history or a person's life

The cold wind sent a wave of chills through my body as me and Calum made our way across the school's football field. We were walking hand in hand, his fingers intertwined with mine.

It was about 10PM on a regular Wednesday night. Calum had spent the evening at my house as usual. We never hung out at his place, really, and I never understood why, but I didn't mind either.

Calum had asked me if we could take a walk, as he wanted to tell me something. I'd agreed to it and we'd snuck out of the house. From that point I'd kinda just followed Calum around as we walked in silence. I'd follow him anywhere, just like we'd promised each other a while ago. I'd always be there for him, and he'd always be there for me.

But that's where we ended up - the football field behind the school that we both went to. It was relatively dark out, the only light coming from the street lamps on the other side of the fence that ran all along the sides of the field.

"Are we even allowed to be here at this time?", I whispered before taking a quick look over my shoulder to check if there was anyone else nearby. There wasn't.

"Of course we are, El", Calum answered and rolled his eyes. I didn't know if it was something he was actually sure of, or just something he said to make me shut up, but it was as good as any answer.

Then he stopped, let go of my hand, and laid down on the grass. After hesitating just a second, I did the same. We laid so close to each other, that I could feel his warm skin against mine, which felt quite comforting. I wasn't that fond of the dark.

"So, what was it that you wanted to tell me?", I asked.

No answer.

"Cal?"

"Can't we just lay here for a bit without talking?" Calum's voice was slightly shaky, and that made me worry a bit. What could it possibly be that he was about I tell me that made him seem nervous? We did as he requested though, and I stayed silent even though a thousand questions popped into my mind.

For what seemed like forever, we just laid there in the grass in complete silence. The noises from the city seemed so far away, like me and him were the only two people in the world at that very moment. Nobody else mattered when we were together. We didn't need anybody else and it seemed that it always be that way.

But the bubble around us suddenly burst when Calum finally started talking.

"I'm moving" he mumbled. Then came the silence once again, but this time it only stayed a short while.

"Where are you moving to?" I quietly asked, my heart beating faster and faster in my chest.

"Somewhere far away", he answered equally as quiet.

"Why?"

"I just have to."

I didn't really know how to handle it. Calum had a lot of explaining to do, but also seemed to refuse doing so.

At that point I felt everything and nothing all at once. My best friend was moving. Far away. Leaving me behind even though we'd promised each other that it would never happen. In my twelve year old mind nothing could possibly be worse than that.

"Why can't you stay?" I ended up asking.

"I just can't."

The lack of explanation frustrated me so bad. What on earth was going on? Why wouldn't he let me in on it?

"I don't get it, Cal."

"You don't have to", he answered and shrugged, his eyes constantly on the stars above us, not looking at me once.

"Can't you just explain to me what is going on? I thought best friends told each other everything!" My voice was shaking now and I was stumbling over my own words. I didn't know wether to be angry, confused or sad, so I was everything all at once.

"There's no point in us being best friends if I'm leaving, is there?" Calum asked. The empty feeling in my gut kept getting worse and worse, almost swallowing me whole as he spoke the harsh words.

"Wha- what?" I couldn't believe what he had just said. "But the promise.. We promised to- .." Then he cut me off.

"Things have changed, El. There's nothing I can do." The tone in his voice was empty, making him impossible to read, and that was the very last drop for me. It sounded like he didn't even care.

I quickly got up, now standing on my feet brushing grass off of my dress. Calum was still laying there on the ground.

"So that's it then? No more us? No more Ella and Calum?" The very first tears had started to roll down my cheeks as I spoke. Crying almost felt embarrassing, seeing how Calum didn't show any sign of emotion at all.

"I guess", he mumbled, shrugging once again.

I didn't want to leave. But I did. No longer being able to form a sentence, I gave him one last look before turning around and walking away, leaving him behind.

Calum didn't show up to school the next day.

Or the day after that one.

At the time, we'd been about twelve years old, and to this day I still didn't know what really happened. I never got a chance to understand. All I really understood was that he had broken his promise and I wouldn't be able to forgive him for just leaving me the way he did.

It seemed like ages ago, but that night still burned brightly in my memory. It was the last time I'd seen Calum Hood.