Chapter 5: Cindy's Change

Cindy didn't know what to expect when she was first told her brother had cancer. She didn't think anybody did. However, she did know that no one expected Bobby to get so violently ill from it.

There Cindy was, rubbing his back affectionately as he hurled the contents of his stomach into the toilet.

"It's so gross!" Bobby wailed, before keeling over once more.

Cindy gently grabbed his shoulders to pull Bobby back. Cindy was slightly worried that Bobby would vomit so hard he would fall into the toilet.

"You're almost done though! Just think of how much better you will feel when you are all better." Cindy soothed.

"Go you get me some Ginger Ale?" Bobby said into the toilet.

Cindy smiled and pat her brother on the back affectionately. "Sure thing. I'll grab Peter too."

Bobbie muttered his thanks into the toilet.

Cindy rose and scurried to her brother's room. There she hopped onto the bed where Bobbie's stuffed Peter Pan laid on his bed. Cindy looked at the doll. Its face looking up adoringly at her with its impish grin. Bobby had gotten the doll for Christmas from the Make-a-Wish foundation.

That had been five months ago. School had just let out two days ago. They were scheduled to leave in five days, ironically on her parents twenty-first anniversary.

If Bobby doesn't stop puking, will we be able to go? Cindy thought nervously.

Cindy wouldn't admit it but she selfishly hope Bobby felt better enough to go because she wanted to go to Disney World. Cindy had gone once when she was two and she didn't remember a thing. Beside this trip probably the last one the four of them would have together, Cindy did believe what Bobby said about Disney World.

It had magic.

Cindy shook herself out of her trance and went downstairs to get the ginger ale. Cindy had relatives on her dad's side in Ohio, where they drink Ginger Ale to help upset stomachs. Strangely enough it works.

"Cindy? Is that you?"

Cindy pursed her lips and turned her head. "Yeah, mom. It's me." Cindy turned around and looked at her mother.

Cindy's mother was taller than Cindy by four inches, held herself with such poise it was intimadating at times, her blue eyes however were soft and gentle, her smile kind, her long chocolate curls made her seem younger.

"Shouldn't you be doing your summer reading?" Cindy's mother asked.

Cindy let out a sigh. "I got a plane ride to read then, mom. I'm fine not reading right now." Cindy said as she gathered up the ginger ale and a tall glass.

"Then what are you doing?" Cindy's mom asked.

Your job. Cindy thought back in retort. She held her tongue, however. Instead she said, "Taking care of Bobby."

"What's wrong with him?" Cindy's mom said, slight panic rising in her voice.

Cindy rolled her eyes (her mom couldn't see her face so she was safe). "His puking his guts out, mom." Cindy answered. "Because he has nothing better to do." Cindy grumbled under her breath.

"Watch your tone." Her mother snapped, his words as hot as fire.

"I have no tone mom. Just replying." Cindy said in annoyance as she grabbed some peppermint candies and shoved them in her pockets.

"Why are you giving him candy?" Cindy's mom shot back. "He's sick, he need healthy stuff. Not soda and peppermints!"

Cindy clamped down on her lip. If it isn't something kind don't say it. Cindy's grandmother use to chide. Its harder than it looks, grandma.