Tyler's Journal: Entry 4, 5, and 6

Found some water and tons of food in a grocery store. It's like Christmas morning, but even better. There were more corpses than I anticipated, but finding water made it hard to care. How terrible is that? So many have already died, and so many keep dying around me, and I've quickly been reduced to a wild animal only thinking about survival. I've become numb to the sight of death. Desensitized. Just a few weeks ago I was getting stuff together for college. I went to the movies, went out to dinner, everything was normal. It's like the world changed overnight, and so did I.

To whoever's reading this, maybe you already think I'm interesting. I'm a survivor, so I'm your hero. Just your normal 18-year-old guy determined to survive despite all his struggles. Well, I'm not that interesting. I know there are people handling this better than me. People who prepared for this, or who are more capable at dealing with things like this. I'm just going to keep screwing up until one mistake means my death. Hopefully it makes for a good read.

~~~~~

Well hello. It's been a while. Honestly, I kind of forgot about you. It's okay, though, I'd say I have a decent excuse. I've been chased out of a convenience store by a group of psychos. I've found a knife. I've watched someone die, a stranger, but a young one. I think he was malnourished, or dehydrated, or both. I tried to help but I when it comes to these things, I don't know shit. So I switched to just holding his hand.

It's weird knowing you were a part of someone's final moments. The last thing that boy ever saw was me, and now he's gone. He won't get to see his family anymore. He won't get to see his friends. He won't get to see the end of the world, or us saving it if that happens. It's not fair, and it still bothers me. I don't know why he was alone, either. Maybe he was like me, and maybe it's good that I found him. I still wonder if I'll die alone.

~~~~~

My entries are getting pretty short. I apologize if that's boring, but it's getting harder for me to write. The days are starting to blur together while getting more difficult. There's less and less food and supplies in stores I come across now, but still plenty for just me. I've avoided groups of survivors, too, and being a lone wolf is just easier. I don't trust any human when the word's like this. Yet one thing is nagging at me, convincing me to change my mind. Whispers and murmurs about a rebel group. People looking to take the planet back by any means necessary. If they exist, I want to join them.

________________________________________________________________________

If you enjoyed this, please be sure to vote and/or comment, it would mean a lot to me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question for the chapter: What part of Tyler's journey are you most excited to read about?