Chapter 6

The next day I sat at the corner of the school's lawn waiting for Carrie and Connor. I spent the whole of last night doing some major self-reflection, and scolded myself harshly for letting Mr Harrison intimidate me. Today was different. I was not going to allow him to scare me anymore. I was going to stand up for myself, and stand up for all the people in my class who were suffering because of him.

In the distance, I saw Connor and Carrie approaching. Carrie was skipping towards me with a very wide smile.

"Hey guys. What's up?" I greeted when they reached me.

"Guess what?" Carrie asked excitedly.

"What?" I said and raised an eyebrow. Carrie giggled and took a deep breath.

"Justin Bale asked me out!" she squealed and grabbed my hand and jumped up and down. My face contorted into a disgusted expression, but I quickly changed it to one of forced interest. I shot a questioning look at Connor, but he just shrugged and sat down next to me.

"Yay...?" I said tentatively, faking a smile and scrunching my eyebrows together. She continued to laugh brightly as she sat beside me. A slight blush spread across her face.

"He's so hot! And he chose me! Me! He chose me!" she babbled, hugging my arm and rocking back and forth. I patted her head.

"So, did you say yes?" I inquired, though I already knew the answer.

"Of course! We're going to see a movie at 7 p.m. tonight," she told me. Seeing how happy she was, I pretended to be enthusiastic.

"That's great. Just don't, you know, get it on in the theatre." I warned in jest. Carrie gasped scandalously and laughed.

"Oh Angie! You're so gross!" she said, shaking her head. I gave her the "You Don't Say" look.

"Well, I'm happy for you." I lied. "Just promise me you'll be careful? We all know how he's like."

"What's that supposed mean?" she asked, her pretty green eyes widening.

"Nothing, nothing," I said quickly, trying to avoid telling her the ugly truth. Carrie

Justin Bale went out with Jessica Monet three months ago, but they broke up just before summer vacation started because he cheated on her with some random girl he met at a party. And how did I know this?

I remember I was in the school's bathroom three months ago, and I accidentally eavesdropped on a conversation between Jessica and her best friend while I was in a bathroom stall. Jessica was in tears, lamenting about how Justin had been unfaithful to her. I almost felt bad for her. That was just how diabolical Justin was.

Be careful, Carrie, I thought. Once a cheater, always a cheater. I don't trust him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Before you leave, take your essays back and do some self-evaluation." Mr Harrison commanded as the students packed their bags in a mad rush, eager to evade his presence. He started calling out the names and grades of my classmates.

"Connor Almond, D minus." Connor went to take his essay, grinning guiltily at Mr Harrison.

"Fred Johnson, A minus." Fred groaned and took his essay, looking disappointed because he practically failed.

"Jessica Monet, D minus." Jessica walked up to him and took her paper, making sure to brush her hand against his.

"Is there a chance I can get some extra credit? Getting D's isn't usually a complaint, but for essays it is." she simpered suggestively, looking up at him through her eyelashes and cocking her head to one side coyly.