Chapter 10

Angelina's POV

Today was the day that the bet ended. I felt like I had won. Of course I did. There was no way Mr Harrison was stupid enough to sleep with Jessica.

I thought my first job for Jessica as my personal slave would be to embarrass herself in front of everyone. Somehow, public disagreements with Mr Harrison only brought about fame for approximately two hours. I needed a more permanent solution, which was to destroy Jessica's reputation completely for the next seven days. Which will knock her off the popularity throne. And then I will swoop in to take over.

"You okay? You're a little spacey," Connor said, putting his arm around my shoulder as we walked to English class, Carrie bouncing along beside us.

"Yeah, I'm good. I'm just thinking about something." I said.

We reached the class and sat down. Mr Harrison was already at his desk, which was shocking. He usually came in at 8.00 a.m. at the exact second. He looked even more dour than normal, glaring at anyone who dared to look at him.

"Someone's got a stick up their ass," Connor whispered. I laughed.

"Yeah, just don't write that in an essay." I joked.

The clock struck eight, and Mr Harrison got up, walked to the front of the class, and began to talk very quietly and seriously.

"Good morning. Today we'll be doing another essay. Does anyone here have an issue with that?"

Of course, no one said anything. They valued their lives too much.

"Good. Now, I'm sure you all know the concept; I'll write a word on the board and you write your thoughts. And I don't want to hear any talking whatsoever. Or else..." he said, giving the room a once over.

I could tell he was forcing himself to keep his usual cold demeanour, but it was very obvious that his mind was elsewhere. People looked at each other in confusion and started to whisper about our teachers out-of-character behaviour.

"What did I just say about talking?" he snapped, glaring at the class. The silence resumed.

Mr Harrison scrawled the word 'Environment' on the whiteboard. People started to take out their paper and pens from their bags and began writing their essays.

Out of the blue, he approached me. He walked up to my desk quickly and deliberately. He put both hands on my desk and leaned forwards to tower over me.

"I need to speak to you after class. You're in big, big trouble, Miss Velazquez." he bellowed. I slumped in my chair and looked up at him expressionlessly.

"May I ask why?" I said, tapping my pen against my table to show I was not bothered. He looked me straight in the eye.

"I don't know, why don't you guess?" he said. I gave him a weird look.

"Oh, I know. I'm going to be the next President, but you think I'm not eligible for the job, so you told the government officials that I don't always button my shirt up, and they're seeking to arrest me for such a federal crime." I said. Carrie pinched my leg under the table. The corners of his mouth twitched.

"This is a serious issue. If you pay close attention, you can see that I'm not in the mood for jokes."

"Are you ever?" I asked, smiling at him mockingly. Carrie prodded my leg in desperation. He did not smile back. I sighed and sat up. "Mr Harrison, if this is, as you said, a serious issue, then why are you keeping me in suspense?"