Chapter Twenty-Two

Dalton was back in Texas. He had about three weeks off tour. I was going to meet him for coffee to address his letter. I always kept it with me, I thought re-reading it may help me to make a decision on what to do. Meeting him for coffee seemed reasonable.At least I wanted to meet him. I also wanted to start being more honest about what was happening with Dalton with Jack. I just didn't know how to. I was serious about Jack. We had been dating for almost a year. I needed to talk to him about it, but I was afraid to tell him because of what he would say. What would he say? Would he understand? The only way was to ask him. But, how?

As I paced around my dorm Amber, who ended up being my roommate, tried to console me.

"Calm down Charlie. If you pace like this you will pass out. "

"I can't stop. There's just so much to worry about. Dalton's back. Jack is coming back into town. They haven't properly met.

They know of each other, and they both know about my history with the other, and they both know about my tendency to overthink and hurt people because I love too much and I can't let people into my life like that so easily 'cause every time I do I get hurt which is my fault for trusting so easily. There's all this crap that I shouldn't have to deal with at nineteen, but I do. I know it's okay to just relax once in awhile. It just doesn't seem like it is. Mostly because I can't relax."

"Maybe. But none of the outcomes of the relationships are entirely your fault. You chose to see good in them but in the end they do something stupid and you get hurt which ends in you saying goodbye because you aren't going to just sit there and let them hurt you. It's just in you to give people a chance. There's nothing wrong with that. Take it one step at a time. Deal with each problem individually and stop trying to deal with them all at once."

"I know I know. But it's all happening so quick. How do I deal with that, and then school?"

"It's okay. Breathe. Now look out the window your boyfriend is walking our way. Don't mention anything you just said. Save it for another time."

But I did not hear her. At least I was choosing not to hear her say that Jack was walking our way because it just made me more stressed.

She got up and closed the windows and the blinds so nobody would see me pacing the room. She went back to sitting on her bed.

"Can you please calm down? School ends in a week. And after that week you can start to make these decisions. "

After five minutes of more pacing and stressing J entered the room.

"Hey guys. " he noticed my pacing and then looked to Amber. "Is everything okay?" 

"She's stressing out because she has another final tomorrow and she's waiting for her grade from yesterday's to be posted. She won't relax. "

"Have you tried to tell her to breathe?" He said looking at me and back at her

"She won't. " Amber looked at her watch "I'm going to meet some friends in the lounge, I'll probably be back in like two hours. Just try to calm her down. " Amber then left.

"Charlie, " he said

"I can't calm down J! It's just a lot to do and think about at once."
I rambled on and on
"Charlie!" He said grabbing my arms and making me look into his eyes. "It's okay. You are going to be fine"

"How could you know?"

"Because...I love you. And I think that matters. "

In our year together, we had not yet said that, and once I heard him say it, my heart stopped.

"I love you?" I said staring at him as to question if he meant it

"I love you. " He said smiling at me.

"I love you." And that was me saying it back.

Then he kissed me. I instantly let my guard down and let myself relax.