Prologue

My parents allowed me to stay at our vacation home alone for the summer after relentless begging and pleading. I just need time to think to myself, I need to be alone.

  But, being alone comes at a cost: my dear old mother calling me every two seconds just to see how I'm doing.

  "Alright Joshie, you stay safe okay? You call me if there's an emergency, honey" she repeated for probably the thousandth time since I've been staying here (which has literally only been about a week and a half).

  "Yeah mom I know, I'll talk to you soon. Love you," I said back into the phone. I heard her inhale softly before speaking.

  "I love you too, Joshie. Goodbye, sweetheart," she spoke back to me. I hung up, saying goodbye before doing so of course. 

  I sighed deeply before getting up out of my bed and walking to the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror for a second.

  I'm not that bad looking. I'm kind of built. Without intention of sounding conceited, I gotta say I really don't get why I don't have boys begging to get with me. I sigh again before turning away.

  Starting up the shower, I strip myself of my underwear and hop in. One of the many perks of being alone all of the time is you don't even have to wear any clothes.

  The warm water gently falls onto my skin and I instantly feel relaxed. I've never been one for luke-warm showers, so the bathroom is always filled by a thick cloud of steam by the time I'm done. Nothing too out of the ordinary, right?

  Although, this time I did notice something strange when glancing out the tiny shower window. I saw a boy—sitting on the edge of the body of water located just outside. He had his feet dangling over the edge of the dock, I could see him kicking his legs lightly in the water. If he would've turned around he would've surely seen me too, that's how close in proximity we were.

And the boy did turn, and he waved. Honestly, it caught me a bit off guard. Surprised, I felt my footing shift unwillingly and soon enough felt a sharp pain throughout my body as it hit the shower floor.

  And then it was black.