Amaranthine - Riarkle

Riley POV:

It was a late night of homework, as usual, and all of the American History that I was supposed to be studying was just blurring into dates and random events. The clock dragged onward to 2 AM, and I flopped back onto the bed.

My phone buzzed and I snatched it up, then looked out the bay window. Farkle was smirking at me from his window, and I checked the text message. Still up with homework? Wanna do something more fun?😏😏

I rolled my eyes at Farkle. His room was right across from mine, ever since his family had moved in just before high school. We would typically spend late nights talking to one another or helping with homework, but tonight was different.

While I had regular homework, Farkle had to study for his AP Biology quiz, and he needed alone time. Which, might I add, didn't seem to be helping, as he was texting me instead of studying.

I replied, then watched as his smirk turned into a fiery blush that spread across his cheeks and down his neck. He looked up at me with wide eyes, and I giggled, winking at him before shutting the blinds and sitting back down.

But there was no way that I was gonna turn down a night with Farkle over this stupid homework. I finished it as best as I could with my 2 AM brain, and turned the light off, slipping a sweatshirt over my head and opening the blinds again.

Farkle looked up, held up a finger, then finished what he was writing before setting his notes down and crawling to the window. He opened it, and winked at me. I shook my head at him and then smiled.

"We haven't talked in forever, Farkle. You've been so busy with studying all the time." I laughed a little and he yawned, running his hands through his already messy hair.

"Yeah, it's been a while. How are you doin', Riles?" I sighed, looking up at the few stars you could see through the buildings.

"I've been good. Maya's a little stressed about the tests, can you believe it? And, I think she's starting to like Lucas too." My forehead creased when I said the last part, and Farkle took it for sadness. He reached out to me and took my hand. I looked at him, startled. He jumped back, and I giggled as he hit his head on the window frame.

"Riley, you okay? About Lucas, I mean." I nodded, but I couldn't meet his eyes. The truth was, I had liked Farkle, for a while now, but I didn't know how he felt, and I didn't want to rush into anything. Lucas had been a crush on a cute boy, with Farkle, I had known him for a long time and we were best friends and so I liked him for a lot longer than Lucas.

"Yeah, I'm fine. There's...there's someone else now. I'm okay about it." Farkle's eyes widened, then his face fell. He looked a little sad, but I had no idea why.

"So how are you, Farkle?" Farkle jolted to meet my eyes, and I raised an eyebrow. He shook his head, then replied.

"I'm good. I mean, Mom and Dad might be getting a divorce, and Evie doesn't know about it yet. She still believes that everything's going to end up like a fairy tale. I don't know how to tell her, and I don't want to tell her." Evie was Farkle's younger sister, she was almost 6 now, and he really loved her. He was a good big brother, another thing I liked about him.

"Oh, Farkle..." I looked into his blue eyes, which were glassy with fresh tears. "Come on." I patted the bay window beside me and he climbed across into my room. He wrapped his arms around me. "It's okay," I whispered into his ear, and he shivered. I kissed his cheek, then backed up to look him in the eyes again.

He was blushing, and I hugged him again. This time, he tangled his fingers into my hair when we embraced. He smelled so good, like home to me. I had always needed Farkle, no matter how much I denied it. His hugs were my favorite part of the day, and now we had an excuse to hug, even though it was nearly three AM now.

When we pulled back, Farkle put his hand behind my head and pulled me to him. I was surprised, but I leaned into the kiss that he was initiating. I couldn't believe it. After all this time, Farkle was going to be my Prince Charming.

But what I wasn't expecting was that when I sat back again, he wouldn't meet my eyes. His own eyes were darting from his lap to the open window, and I grabbed his forearm just before he disappeared out the small space.

"Wait, Farkle. Why-Why did you do that?" He shrugged, blushing like a ripe tomato, and shoved his way through the window.

After all this time, I had been the reason Farkle left. It was my fault. Now he was gone, back in his room with the blankets over his head, then pulled the curtains over the window separating us. I called his name, but he was clearly ignoring me.

What now? I had always had Farkle to help me, comfort me, or anything else I needed. Now he was gone.

* * *

The next morning came shockingly fast, and I dragged myself out of bed at 6, to get ready for school. 3 hours of sleep was not going to be good for my test or my mood today. I made my bed quickly, then took a shower.

The warm water cascaded over me and I took a few deep breaths before starting to wash my hair. After my shower, I dried my hair and threw it into a messy bun. An oversized Superman sweatshirt, grey leggings, and my Converse completed the look.

I made my way out the door into the kitchen, where my mother was waiting. She handed me a bowl of yogurt and a banana before shooing me out the door. I met Maya at the front door and we walked to the subway, getting on before we were late.

Farkle was on the subway of course, but I avoided his probing glance. I didn't want to have this conversation today, much less right now. It wasn't like it was going to help anyway.

When the subway stopped, Maya looked at her phone. It was almost 7:15. School started in five minutes. We bolted through the streets, barely making it to the school before the first bell rang, starting our class.

Farkle, of course, was sitting behind me, like always. It didn't help avoiding him since I had every class with him, and everything would be ruined if we ended up talking about it.

Finally, just after lunch, Farkle managed to stop me in the hallway. "Riley," He told me, his eyes wide and worried. "I really need to talk to you." I nodded, looking him in the eyes for the first time since last night, or this morning, whatever.

"Yeah, okay." He smiled, before backing away a little and looking down at his shoes. He took a deep breath, and looked at me.

"Riley Matthews, I have loved you since the first grade. I've never stopped. I love you so much that I was willing to let you go for Lucas. I have an amaranthine love for you." I stopped, tilting my head and raising an eyebrow.

"What?" I asked, laughing a little. He was blushing, and then looked serious.

"It means eternally beautiful. Just like you." His face was beet red now, and I felt bad just a little. "I don't regret our kiss last night. And I won't regret this either." With that, he pulled me to him, touching his lips to mine. I couldn't help but kiss back. I loved Farkle Minkus.

We backed away, panting, and saw my dad. He smiled, then walked back into the classroom. I embraced Farkle, and whispered in his ear.

"I love you Farkle Minkus."

*  *  *

YAYYYY ANOTHER ONE SHOT!

I love these so much. Riarkle is just AHHH

Tell me what you think in the comments!

Bye lovelies!

Alli<3